Punctures

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never had a proper vulcanised patch fail. I once used a self adhesive one and that did come off.

Since using Schwalbe MP tyres on my Brompton and also my Giant Seek ezee I have had zero punctures over 2 years and 10000 miles.

D

Deleted member 4366

The normal feather-edged patched work perfectly if done properly as described above. I've never had one fail. I normally go up to about three patches before I think about a new tube except when the tube has several punctures at once, like when you keep pumping up the tyre to try and get home without repair, when the thorn often punctures again in a different spot. I've heard mixed reviews of the Scab type, which are supposed to be OK to get you home, but a bit dodgy to leave long-term from what I've read. Traditional patches work fine, so why change?

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
The secret of effective and permanent patch repair is to apply a thin film of the solution to both patch and tube area and then allow adequate drying of the solution.
I never knew that. I thought the stuff in the tube are a fancy kind of glue, so I always used it like I'd use glue. This could explain why I've always been so terrible at repairing punctures. I learned something new and very useful today! Thanks.

I use thick-walled inner tubes "thorn resistant", a kevlar outer tire (Schwalbe Blackjack) and a gel insert between the tube and the tire. Before I did that, I was getting punctures. Since then, the only puncture I've had was a total blowout when I misadjusted my rear brake and the brake pad rubbed on the tire until it rubbed through and ... BANG!!!!