Put up with compromise or have a bespoke e-bike built for me?

Lynne

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2012
Barnsley
Am off to Penrith today...have printed off some comments. They sell Raleigh. Am planning to try BH Emotion 700 wave, and anything else...oh and of course Kalkhoff!

Will let you know.....

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
That, Dave, if it comes to fruition, could be hugely significant for the future of the ebike industry in the UK. In itself, it may only be one small step but perhaps some of those major players on mainland europe are beginning to think that it might just be worth investing in some UK outlets. If there is any mileage in that notion, then getting in early and establishing their brand names at well-known retail sites is the way to go.

Scale, of course, is a major factor and I'm not sure the UK market is quite ready yet for that transition from our current ebike saturation level to anything resembling the bike ownership and usage pattern in the northern part of western europe. Perhaps some in europe are more optimistic and feel the time is now ripe to expand their market over here, hence the conversation you had.

Indalo
Indalo,the distribution of those brands in the UK was not just a notion it was a done deal. I still don't think the big german manufacturers are all that interested in the UK market but they have a distribution channel through Raleigh bikes so there is little additional cost in using it. The problem is that the sports bike shops really are not interested in selling electric bikes so whether they will push the e-bike concept is questionable,something 'you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
I was only interested in Haibike,the other brands conflict with current or future planned Kudos product-I think that Haibike make the best and toughest genuine off road e-bike.
Kudos will be introducing 2 new german bike ranges for 2013 plus our own Kudos performance range of 4 bikes,including the BH Emotion range that will take us to over 30 bikes in the portfolio-we will have the attitude of stocking,in good quantity,all the bikes we sell. It is true that the current market does not justify this level of investment but we all see potential in th e-bike concept and unless some of us take the risk the product will not be available. I see David Miall of Wisper is moving his production to Germany,I prefer to offer mid range priced product from Asia and the technology led higher priced product from Germany,to satisfy all tastes and pockets.
Dave
Kudoscycles

Last edited:

Lynne

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2012
Barnsley
d8veh ...couldn't get my leg over! The 2 guys there raving about that bike! Did try BH city 700, it was so easy to ride being very similar to mine but with assistance.

Tried Kalkhoff C11....loved it and I think it's the bike for me! No compromise needed,its got everything I'm looking for, and Pete will adapt the peddle and move the bell. Lot of money, but learning to ride that bike, because I will have to change my riding style, is going to be easy and just what I need for the next 5 years.

Thank you everybody for all the really thoughtful comments..... and I am so glad I travelled to Penrith!

And good luck kudoscycles, one day I may come and visit to see all that choice!

THANKS!

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Lynne,well done,pleased you have found your ideal bike. We intend to organise a number of electric bike meets next year. A chance not only to try Kudos bikes in some beautiful locations across the UK but an open meet of e-bike enthusiasts with any marque of e-bike,perhaps you could make it to one of those.
Dave
Kudoscycles

Apr 19, 2011
Flecc this is a common misunderstanding. I have posted before on the subject but perhaps should create a Sparta specific post to cover it (is that allowed?).

There is no need for anyone competent in cycle maintenance to visit a Sparta dealer to fix a puncture: Disconnect the power feed; Remove the wheel; mend the puncture; put it back together.

The wheel nuts should be tightened to 35Nm then 50Nm. The latter happens to be about the same torque most cyclists would tighten a manual bike wheel nut to.

In the rare event that the e-bike does not perform as it did prior to mending the puncture, recalibrate the torque sensor by pressing and holding the light switch until “RECALIBRATED” appears on the Sparta’s display. That’s all there is to it.

The same applies to Kogas fitted with Accell 22Nm, 33Nm 40Nm or 45Nm series motors.

The obvious rule applies: if in doubt ask. If you’re not sure how to remove and replace a bicycle wheel safely call 01728 830 817 (Suffolk) or 0208 960 9848 (London, opening next week).

For those that need help we can make a house call anywhere in the country to carry out this work and are more than happy to talk a customer’s favourite local bike store through the procedure.

By far the best option is to fit Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres from new. We started fitting these 2008 and have had a total of 3 punctures since (all three the result of 1 inch + long hawthorns through the side wall).
I'm not sure if the cable is the reason, but it's been true with any wheel removal of that motor used in the Sparta and sister bike Koga. At one time 50cycles sold Sparta, then stopped handing them. Subsequently a fire in their warehouse destroyed the kit needed for the Sparta so they were unable to help a local owner who'd bought two Spartas from them.

Justebikes who handle them now claimed in answer to my previously posting this that it was not a problem, but failed to tell me how it was not when I inquired. Therefore the presumption is that it's a problem until we know otherwise with certainty.

Of course in the Sparta homeland of the Netherlands where there are Sparta dealers everywhere, it's not a big problem.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks James, my comments over time were from the information that dealer attention was definitely required originally and that some special equipment was needed. That info came from reviewers and 50cycles, so presumably the calibration system has been changed just as the torque has been.