Putting a Spoke in it

Rod Tibbs

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2008
Thought I would try a new thread. Seems needed somehow!

My Mistral has now been off the road for a total of around six weeks and the latest delay, according to the Electric Transport Shop, is in getting suitable replacement spokes. Apparently Synergie, having originally poo pooed the idea that the motor might be faulty, have now come round to thinking that is where the trouble lies.

So they kindly sent a replacement motor - that is all. No wheel, no tyre, no spokes just a motor.

According to ETS new spokes must be fitted when the motor is transferred into the original wheel. I asked why not use the spokes that came out and there was a great deal of tut tutting supported harmoniously by sharp intakes of breath.

They did not consider it a good idea they said. So I am apparently still waiting for suitable new spokes to arrive.

Two questions really: is it generally considered essential to build with new spokes? And if so how difficult is it to get hold of the obviously non standard spokes that a wheel with a motorised hub needs?

Many thanks for any observations.

Rod

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Hi, Rod.

I rebuilt my wheel with existing spokes. One was already broken and a couple I couldn't undo but the bike came with half a dozen spares. I've not had a problem with them so far and they were changed 300+ miles ago.

Mind you, at the time I had no idea it was a possible no-no. Have I just been lucky?

Best regards.

Vikki.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's generally good practice to use new Rod, the old ones may have suffered damage at the hub end and the threads also have been compromised in their first use. For example, the different stresses in different positions will not match the new positions that the spokes will end up in. I have rebuilt with old spokes, but it's different for an individual who knows the spoke and wheel history, the trade preferring to play safe since the cost difference is small.

Short spokes are available, SJS being a source of British spokes that I've used on ebike hub motors:

Spokes at St Johns Cycles

Last edited:

Rod Tibbs

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2008
Many thanks for the advice Flecc. I will check with ETS and see how they are making out with sourcing spokes. Maybe I will refer them to the site you mention if they really are having trouble getting them.

Rod

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
I've seen some spoke cutting and threading tools and I'm sure most bike shops have them from the conversations I've had with them. I would be suspicious if an electric bike dealer that also does servicing couldn't lay their hands on or otherwise fabricate replacement spokes within a few days.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've seen some spoke cutting and threading tools and I'm sure most bike shops have them from the conversations I've had with them. I would be suspicious if an electric bike dealer that also does servicing couldn't lay their hands on or otherwise fabricate replacement spokes within a few days.
Spokes need special tools to press (or roll) the thread rather than cutting them as cutting makes them weak, this equipment is not so common. They are also weakened by fitting so they shouldn't be reused. ETS know this so won't fit bad spokes, they also have a relationship with SJS so I suspect the delay is probably to do with Synergie.