Question about E-Bikes

Dobby

Just Joined
Apr 20, 2015
In the UK they can't be over 40kg and can't assist over 15mph. But let's say I purchased an electric bicycle that on the twist of the throttle could go up to say 50mph, would it be acceptable provided I am only using the pedals on roads and that I only use the throttle on private land such as my own?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
If you buy a ready made bike in the UK, the bike has to have EN15194. No manufacturer can sell you a bike capable of 50mph.
If you build the bike yourself, you may have to disconnect the throttle when you are not on your own land.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In the UK they can't be over 40kg and can't assist over 15mph. But let's say I purchased an electric bicycle that on the twist of the throttle could go up to say 50mph, would it be acceptable provided I am only using the pedals on roads and that I only use the throttle on private land such as my own?
That's the old legislation Dobby.

Following an amendment that came into force on 6th April this year, all the e-bike weight limits are removed and the assist speed limit is 15.6 mph (matching the EU's 25 kph).

Having a throttle will mean the bike must be type approved for use anywhere that the public have access to and the limit is still 15.6 mph. However it's likely that change in throttle law will not be enforced on new e-bikes until 1st January 2016.

An e-bike that can be used under rider control illegally is never legal on the roads no matter if legally used then, so your proposal isn't legal.