Quickie SLIME question (ready done tubes or DIY?)

Tara

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Torbay, South Devon
Evenin' all :)

Just a quickie - My trike arrives next week, yay! (Pics will follow I promise) and I want some slime in the inner tubes.
I know it's a 'Marmite' subject, but I'd feel a bit more secure until I've got my head around punctures (don't forget I'm a total noob)

So, which is best my best bet, the SLIME inner tubes? (ready slimed) or the SLIME gunk in a bottle for the tubes I have?

The tubes are £5.99 = £17.97, versus a 16oz large bottle of SLIME at £9.24

I'd save £8.73 going for the bottle, but then I have to SLIME the inner tubes myself (I'm a biking noobie remember!)

Many thanks in advance me dears
Tara

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
My preference would be none at all.

It can be difficult to get into the inner tube as the valve stem can clog up wasting slime and the inner tube. If you are a total newcomer, pre-slimed might be best.

Marathon Plus tyres would be your best option. I've never had a puncture whilst using them.

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
Like you say, it's a 'Marmite' subject.
I used it on 3 separate bikes over 5 years and never had a puncture...or did i?
Its dead easy to put in the inner tubes. Just screw out the valve (i think they even supply a plastic tool for this) squirt in the required amount of goo, screw the valve back in, blow up the tyres and away you go.

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
I think my preference is not to have slime in the tubes. I had problems with one valve that ended up 'gummed up' with the stuff, it eventually stopped the valve closing therefore losing the air in the tube. I took both of them out and threw them away. Puncture resistant tyres are a bit more expensive (considering you have three to buy) but a better solution. Or just take your chances with punctures. I always carry a spare tube ready to change over should the need arise. It doesn't take long to swap tubes on a bike, not sure about your trike though.

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
I have only ever bought the pre-filled tubes so cannot comment on the bottle. I have had puctures that have been gummed up by this stuff, so I continue to use slime, but I use M+ tyres as well.

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
I have used both but it's a bit of a faff messing with the bottles so it's a pre-slimed tyre I'd recommend. I have a trike (2 front wheels) and I put a slime only in the rear as it's a real pain to remove the hub if I had to and the fronts are easy to fix and you don't even need to get the wheel off. I have had numerous punctures in the fronts but never in the rear (as yet) over about a year of use. I know it's not a rigorous test but it must show it's worth a go.

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
Forgot to mention, I only pump them up while the valve is at the 12:00 position and so maybe the gummed up valve thing won't happen.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
If you slime them remember to carry a spare tube. Slimed inner tubes are very hard to patch and result in long walks.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
If you slime them remember to carry a spare tube. Slimed inner tubes are very hard to patch and result in long walks.

Seems the best answer to me. Slime may well deal with your puncture, but if it fails, then a roadside repair is called for. Even with a non slimed tube, this is not always easy. It is bound to start raining, or your fingers are covered in chain grease etc., you cannot find the actual puncture without a basin of water.
Far quicker to replace the tube and repair the old one at home in ideal conditions.

mike_j

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2011
I recently bought a bottle of slime for my bike tyres, day after it arrived my ride on mower developed a puncture. Slime cured it beautifully but now I need another bottle for the bike.

Seems to be good stuff.

D

Deleted member 4366

My punctures fall into two categories: Thorns from travelling down small country lanes when they do the hedge cutting and glass on the cycle paths from drunkards and yobbos smashing their glasses or bottles on the way back from their night out. I've never had a puncture on normal roads. If you can avoid these risky areas, then your chance of getting a puncture is small.
The problem with slime is that it doesn't always work ,and then you have a bigger problem to deal with. Also, as others have said and from my own experience, the slime can block the valve and then you can't pump up the tyre any more, so what would normally only require a few strokes of the pump then needs wheel removal and tube replacement. Like everything, there,s advantages and disadvantages that tend to cancel each other out. Best to learn how to fix a puncture at the roadside: It's not difficult even for a noob as long as you've been shown the proper way to do it.

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
(ready done tubes or DIY?)

I must say i have always been a bit wary of these type products, but it got me out of trouble on a motbike rear tyre which i ran over glass tyre deflated rapidley i managed to buy from garage one of these bottles that seal and inflate about £8.00 no problems keep it your pannier until needed !.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
I have invested in some of these non-continuous inner tubes for both my bikes:
Sidewinder Easy Fit Inner tube 24 & 26 Inch Wheels
The idea is that you do not have to remove the wheel because the ends of the tube overlap, though you would have to cut the existing tube to get it out.
Since buying them I have (touch wood) not had a puncture (Marathon Pluses on the bike I've had the longest). I imagine, however, that I would only use one of these tubes to get me home and not as a permanent replacement.

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
Seems the best answer to me. Slime may well deal with your puncture, but if it fails, then a roadside repair is called for. Even with a non slimed tube, this is not always easy. It is bound to start raining, or your fingers are covered in chain grease etc., you cannot find the actual puncture without a basin of water.
Far quicker to replace the tube and repair the old one at home in ideal conditions.

I do this anyway, slime or no slime. I have found that most punctures happen when I am late, freezing cold, dark and it is chucking it down with ice.

Forgot to mention, I only pump them up while the valve is at the 12:00 position and so maybe the gummed up valve thing won't happen

No! don't do that! 4:00 position if you do not want slime in your valves. I have been using slime filled tubes for about 8 years and have never had this happen.

My punctures fall into two categories: Thorns from travelling down small country lanes when they do the hedge cutting and glass on the cycle paths from drunkards and yobbos smashing their glasses or bottles on the way back from their night out. I've never had a puncture on normal roads. If you can avoid these risky areas, then your chance of getting a puncture is small.

In London, and I am sure elsewhere, nails, screws and other unhelpful objects leak from building sites, of which there are quite a lot around at present. I had a 1/2" screw go straight through a puncture resistant tyre (not a M+) a few months ago. Slime worked superbly on it.

Tara

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Torbay, South Devon
The problem with slime is that it doesn't always work ,and then you have a bigger problem to deal with. Also, as others have said and from my own experience, the slime can block the valve and then you can't pump up the tyre any more, so what would normally only require a few strokes of the pump then needs wheel removal and tube replacement. Like everything, there,s advantages and disadvantages that tend to cancel each other out. Best to learn how to fix a puncture at the roadside: It's not difficult even for a noob as long as you've been shown the proper way to do it.
Hmmm, therein lies the problem - I've never fixed a puncture before and I have no one to show me how its done. It's worrying me to be honest.......

Oh and I've found out today by Googling, that the wheels are a nightmare to remove on the trike I'm buying (even strong guys have problems, and brute force is needed, so I wonder how I'll get on :eek:)

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I recently bought a bottle of slime for my bike tyres, day after it arrived my ride on mower developed a puncture. Slime cured it beautifully but now I need another bottle for the bike.
I'll mention this to my gardner. I usually beat him unconcious with the flat end of a shovel if he punctures my mower tyres. Slime could work out cheaper than new shovel handles. Thanks for the tip.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Hmmm, therein lies the problem - I've never fixed a puncture before and I have no one to show me how its done. It's worrying me to be honest.......

Oh and I've found out today by Googling, that the wheels are a nightmare to remove on the trike I'm buying (even strong guys problems, so I wonder how I'll get on :eek:)
If that's the case, you really should consider investing in puncture resistant tyres. I can't speak highly enough of the Marathon Plus. Squirt some slime in there as well if it gives you greater confidence.

Tara

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Torbay, South Devon
If that's the case, you really should consider investing in puncture resistant tyres. I can't speak highly enough of the Marathon Plus. Squirt some slime in there as well if it gives you greater confidence.
Are the puncture resistant tyres that good then?

I've just had a thought......I'd have to get the old ones off to upgrade, BUT, today, I found an electric bike shop has just opened a mile away from me! I was chuffed to see it, as there's nothing like it in South Devon that I know of.
I had a good chat with the nice shop owner, and I reckon if I smile sweetly and pay him a tenner, he might swap the tyres for me :D :p He somehow 'makes' the electric batteries for half the price at approx £150, and he can do my servicing too.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Yes, I think Marathon Plus tyres are very good. I've done over 9000 miles and never had a puncture. That could be luck of course, but others have reported good puncture resistance too.