Raleigh Array E-Motion Crossbar 700c 2018 Electric Hybrid Bike

donkeykong

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 29, 2015
Hi,

I've been thining of getting an E-bike for a while as I live on top of a hill and sometimes commute to work.

I have an opportunity to buy a Raleigh Array E-Motion Crossbar 700c 2018 Electric Hybrid Bike on a cycle to work scheme, saving me quite a bit of cash. But I don't know whether it would suit my needs?

I am 6ft 2 and 16 stone. I do tackle the hills on my road bike, but it is often off putting due to the fact I come home covered in sweat! I've noticed that the E-motion corssbar is only available in a medium frame. Any thoughts?

donkeykong

Dec 29, 2015
The array is the onlye- bike I have available on my cycle to work scheme - It makes it much more affordable. I'm just investigating it's suitability for now. Any thoughts rather than other suggestions?

donkeykong

Dec 29, 2015
Here's a link to the spec for the E-bike https://www.raleigh.co.uk/array-crossbar-black-craymdmbu

Any thoughts? It claims to be suitable for riders up to 6ft 2. In a nutshell, I'm looking for something to use as a commuter bike (3 miles each way) but will give me a push on the way home which is all uphill. This is the only E-bike I can get on my employers cycle to work scheme.

I understand that one drawback is that it's a front driven motor.

Powerbikes

Trade Member
Sep 11, 2017
Whitehaven
www.powerbikes.uk
For a 3 mile commute even with a few minor hills that should be fine. d8veh is right in saying rear motor is better though.

Which cycle scheme does your employer use? I may be able to help you out either with that bike or an alternative one depending on the cycle scheme.

donkeykong

Dec 29, 2015
For a 3 mile commute even with a few minor hills that should be fine. d8veh is right in saying rear motor is better though.

Which cycle scheme does your employer use? I may be able to help you out either with that bike or an alternative one depending on the cycle scheme.
Thanks. My employer uses cyclesolutions.

Powerbikes

Trade Member
Sep 11, 2017
Whitehaven
www.powerbikes.uk
Looks like an independent company with their own cycle scheme. They have a good range but means you can't choose your own shop which can limit you somewhat.

Some cycle schemes allow you to buy a bike above the £1000 mark and add your own money to top it up. Cyclesolutions does look like it limits you to the £1k. All I'll say is if you're tall and that's your only option I would definitely recommend taking the Array for a good test ride just to check you are comfortable on it.

Richard

donkeykong

Dec 29, 2015
I also have the option on the cycle to work scheme of the Stow-e-way. This is rear motor driven. However, I'm a bit sceptical of a folding bike to use on hills and of course its suitability to someone tall. Ant thoughts?

gwing3

Oct 5, 2017
Chilterns, UK
Thanks. My employer uses cyclesolutions.
Bad luck. My employer also uses cyclesolutions and I was very unimpressed by their complete and utter inflexibility. In the end I had to ignore the C2W and just buy the bike I wanted, in fact two of them :) Looking around for a good discount price proved not much worse than the full retail cyclesolutions charge even aided by the C2W benefits.

In fact I came away feeling quite unhappy with the whole process and thinking that what the government is doing here is actually creating a system where local bike shops lose trade and more of our money as taxpayers goes to funding profits for these cycle scheme operators than we actually get as a benefit. That all said, we have two very nice ebikes :)

Powerbikes

Trade Member
Sep 11, 2017
Whitehaven
www.powerbikes.uk
I'm a little shorter than you at 5'11" and found the Stow-E-Way a little more comfortable of a position. It will happily make it up hills but I just feel safer on a slightly larger bike. Stow-e-Way has quite a small battery as well at only 250Wh and the Array a little bigger at 300Wh.

It is a shame you are limited to these two bikes as personally I'm not sure either would be the right bike for you.

Take them both out on a good test ride if you can. It's the only way to really see how you find them.

Otherwise I'd suggest looking elsewhere. The Kudos Stealth mentioned earlier or the Kudos Eiger is a fantastic bike for the money and it has a crank motor too! https://powerbikes.uk/shop/e-bikes/kudos-eiger/

donkeykong

Dec 29, 2015
This is helpful, thanks. I like the look of the Kudos bikes, and I'd be looking for something that is suitable for winter weather so perhaps the Eiger is recommended? Does the battery come off? I think, when it's parked up and locked, I'd take the battery with me to the office. Also, is it suitable for someone 6ft 2? I've noticed the frame is only 46cm.

Powerbikes

Trade Member
Sep 11, 2017
Whitehaven
www.powerbikes.uk
The Eiger I think is a good all rounder. Ideal for commuting, light off road use and will be fine in bad weather. The battery locks in place and is removed with a key so would be secure even if you didn't want to take it into work. I had a gentleman who was 6' trying it before and he was comfortable on it so I'd imagine it should be fine for someone 6'2" if the saddle is raised a little.

donkeykong

Dec 29, 2015
I'm still undecided!!! Does the Eigar have a throttle and pedal assist? Can the motor power the wheel without pedalling? (I think that's the same question!). Also, it this the case for the Array and the Stealth.
I see pros and cons in all of them! The pro of the array being it's cost due to the cycle to work scheme.

Last edited:

Powerbikes

Trade Member
Sep 11, 2017
Whitehaven
www.powerbikes.uk
The Eiger and the Array both have a throttle and pedal assist. However the throttle is limited to 4mph unless you are pedaling or at least turning your feet.

Dangermouse

Mar 26, 2017
Hampshire
Hubby's work also use Cyclesolutions - they don't make it clear (or easy to find) on their website, but you can still buy through your local bike shop.
I've never been able to find this page via their website, but it comes up on Google: https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/find-a-bike-shop
Hubby talked to the bike shop, then simply requested his £1000 certificate via work and paid the rest directly to the bike shop.

donkeykong

Dec 29, 2015
Hubby's work also use Cyclesolutions - they don't make it clear (or easy to find) on their website, but you can still buy through your local bike shop.
I've never been able to find this page via their website, but it comes up on Google: https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/find-a-bike-shop
Hubby talked to the bike shop, then simply requested his £1000 certificate via work and paid the rest directly to the bike shop.
Thanks! This could be very useful. Althought I've looked through the bike shops on cyclesolutions and I'm struggling to find one which stocks Kudos bikes!