Raleigh Chopper pedelec conversion

choppertom

Just Joined
Nov 8, 2014
Hi! I am new to this forum and the concept of pedelecs,

I have done my own bit of research on the subject and for a while have wanted to convert my pedal powered chopper bicycle into a pedelec, but am unsure on the best way in which to do this, my initial idea was to purchase a 16" front wheel pedelec hub and install to the front wheel of my bike. I am only looking for a pedal assisted hybrid, no throttle or switches, just assistance when pedalling.

After much searching on the internet I have failed to find any real tutorials or information on the conversion process for such a bike and was just looking for some friendly advice on which motor would best suit my requirements and how to go about it, obviously i understand the smaller wheel on a chopper bicycle may pose some compatibility issues, most of all with the spokes, given the fact I know you can purchase wheels already installed with pedelec motors, my understanding is that i will have to fit the hub myself but am unsure how to do this given the smaller wheel size.

Any veterans on the conversion process willing to help me out and provide any suggestions to the best type of motor, battery etc. would be infinitely appreciated!

many thanks in advance!

tj x

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
I think the easiest way to fit a motor to a Raleigh chopper would be a crank drive kit from woosh bikes or eclipse bikes. The woosh crank drive kits would look neat and work using pedal assist or throttle
http://www.wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit
However there are chinese companies like golden motor that sell some solid smaller front wheels with a hub motor in http://www.goldenmotor.com/

Last edited:

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
You might be better attempting a rear wheel conversion, would better sit with the geometry of the bike. Not sure about the gears though!

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I have done a lot of small wheel conversions 16" and 20" bikes.

I think a front wheel conversion would be best to retain the style of the Chopper with 3 speed rear hub and gear change. You would lose that with a rear wheel conversion. I subtle light assist conversion would look good and not detract from the design either. Always wanted a chopper as a kid lol

How much power/assist are you looking for ?

It sounds like an interesting project and one I would certainly like to try. If you don't want lots of power a Keyde pedelec conversion would be good. Battery type and size would again be dependent on both terrain and distance you want to cover in a trip. Building smaller wheels with hub motors holds no great challenges over and above regular sized wheels. Spokes are easy to get hold of and a radial build makes it even simpler.

One of my projects using the above kit

Perhaps for a start you could measure the front fork width. That's the distance from inside of the frame across the front dropouts or the width of the existing front wheel axle between lockout nuts ?

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:
Reactions: EddiePJ and oigoi

lowranger

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2008
I loved my chopper in1974, I often dreamt of it having an electric motor then so will be interested to see the finished project.
You're should be able to get the battery and controller installed under the seat quite neatly and with Pedelec set up you can keep the handlebars tidy. An on/off switch on the gear shifter would be neat! I think you'll have to make your own kit up as a pre wired one will leave you with way too much wire. Good luck and please post some pics when it's done.