Help! Raleigh Motus cutting out problem. Please help.

Rachelsmum

Just Joined
Mar 20, 2022
Hi, I’ve been riding my Raleigh Motus for over a year and suddenly today on a ride it has started cutting out. The Purion display just switches off and all power is lost. There’s no error message. I can turn it on again while riding but after a few moments it turns off again. It happens when the bike is stationary too which makes me think it’s not a loose wire. I’ve timed the switch off and it’s exactly 26 seconds each time. Anybody out there have any experience of this and a solution please? Thanks, Sue.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
try changing the batts in the display first and see if that sorts it.

Reactions: Rachelsmum

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Try cleaning the contacts to the display. Also make sure the battery really is properly engaged in its housing.

We've got the older Motus hub with rack battery, and the battery housing is really badly designed. It's very easy to get the battery locked in but not properly sitting on the rack. I don't know if there is a similar issue with other Bosch battery mounts.

Schwutke

Just Joined
Mar 20, 2022
Hi, I’ve been riding my Raleigh Motus for over a year and suddenly today on a ride it has started cutting out. The Purion display just switches off and all power is lost. There’s no error message. I can turn it on again while riding but after a few moments it turns off again. It happens when the bike is stationary too which makes me think it’s not a loose wire. I’ve timed the switch off and it’s exactly 26 seconds each time. Anybody out there have any experience of this and a solution please? Thanks, Sue.
I had a similar problem with my Juiced bike (which I consider one of th best, robust, affordable ebikes available) After checking all related elecrical connections and the controller - I mailed the rear wheel with motor to Juiced bike, they checked it and could not findanything wrong. The last component looked at was the battery. I also sent the battery to Juiced and they replaced it for free though the warranty was rexpired for about 8 months. Good luck with root causing the defective component.
Henry

Rachelsmum

Just Joined
Mar 20, 2022
Thanks all, tried removing the main battery and reseating and it seems fine. Odd that it goes off after 26 seconds each time. Going to see if I can find out how to remove the Purion controller tomorrow and look to see if it has a back up battery fitted. Thanks again.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is just held on with a alan key bolt.

the display is powerd buy those batts and not the main bike batt and tend to go a bit funny when they start getting low.

Rachelsmum

Just Joined
Mar 20, 2022
it is just held on with a alan key bolt.

View attachment 46132

the display is powerd buy those batts and not the main bike batt and tend to go a bit funny when they start getting low.

Thanks, have changed the batteries and no change in the controller. It switches off exactly 26 seconds after turning on whatever. Puzzling

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Is the wheel speed magnet gapped correctly ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it would throw a 503 speed sensor error if it was sensor related but not much else you can do bar take it to a dealer or try a different display.

if a new display does not fix it then it could be the controller in the motor that has a fault.

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
Not sure of the age of your bike. While the Raleigh warranty if only one year the Bosch warranty will be for two years. If that’s the case take it back to your dealer for warranty repair as it’s the Bosch part that’s playing up.