Raleigh Motus question re paintwork

Colin Tate

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2015
I'm interested in this bike. Can anyone tell me if the paintwork is a good quality finish? I've heard that powder coating is the best but I can't find anything to say if the motus has this finish. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Colin,

Not sure why you didn't ask us? We replied to your last email 3 days ago but you didn't respond?

The Motus is a lovely Matte finish. As can be seen in the close up's on our website or in my video walkthrough below.

If still unsure why not take the trip out to see one in the flesh?

Regards
Martin

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Hi Colin,

Not sure why you didn't ask us?
Maybe because he wanted independent observations and user experience? Don't forget, your statements might be accused of being biased as you have a vested interest in selling the bikes. Not saying they are biased, but perception could be that they are.

Michael

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Maybe because he wanted independent observations and user experience? Don't forget, your statements might be accused of being biased as you have a vested interest in selling the bikes. Not saying they are biased, but perception could be that they are.

Michael
Too true Michael.
I still think nothing beats viewing the bike in the flesh and making your own opinions of the bike for yourself. Plenty of 3rd party opinions on this bike on our website reviews section too :)

Colin Tate

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2015
Michael's right. I was hoping to hear from some users who've been riding around on their bikes since they were launched last year - to see how the bike had faired. They look very nice in the shop, it's true, but I'd want it to be able to stand up to the rigours of a Scottish winter. So something that's prone to being chipped easily wouldn't be much good here. And some bikes have a better finish than others ...

But if you're able to answer the question about whether the bike has a powder coated finish Martin, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks for all your comments people!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com

Michael
If it is the same as my old 2013 Haibike/Raleigh then it's dreadful. The welding in the bottom bracket area was so rough that there were pockets where the paint hadn't gone into, and the wheel set felt and looked as though there was grit and dust left on the rims prior to being painted.

The paintwork and welds on Wliiliam Tells (forum member) bike were perfect though, and couldn't be faulted, so really it is best just to pop along and view what ever bike that you have decided upon.

To throw something else into the equation, if the weather conditions are that harsh where you live, it could be worth noting that rim brakes are potentially going to be harder in respect of wear and tear on the wheel rims, when compared with a disc set up. You also potentially have swivel points that if not serviced regularly, could seize and impede braking performance. Possibly unlikely, but it is something else to consider.

If conditions are harsh, and you want to rightly preserve the finish of the bike, buy a tin of ACF50 and apply it to all exposed metal, but keeping it away from the brake area.

Finally, possibly just as or more important than the paint finish, is the front forks. Whatever bike that you decide upon, it could be worth trying to find some form of cover/gator to protect the fork tube from corrosion.

I'll try and find a photo later if I still have one of the poor welds and paintwork around the bottom bracket area, but this is the state that the Haibikes/Raleighs wheels were in. Quality control took the day off.

Last edited:

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
If it is the same as my old 2013 Haibike then it's dreadful.

I'll try and find a photo later if I still have one of the poor welds and paintwork around the bottom bracket area, but this is the state that the Haibikes/Raleighs wheels were in. Quality control took the day off.
Isn't this a strange connection to try to make?

Don't think Raleigh were connected with Haibike back in 2013 other than both being part of the Accell group.

2014 & 2015 Haibikes are of a high quality.

The Raleigh Motus didn't even exist back then.