Raleigh scoops KOGA sales rights in the UK

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
To be road legal speed pedelecs must have a CoC. Once you've got that then its easy.
Come on James, stop teasing us all, let us know the whole process start to finish.

If you've worked this all out then you've really done you bit moving the whole issue & debate forward.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
CoC only applies to countries like Germany and Netherlands. Can you show any bikes have been registered? Reason being this did not appear to be enough for others who tried to register them. Also what companies would insure them, as I am yet to see one? Again not convinced. This is a shame as i would have loved it to be true.

Apr 19, 2011
Maybe start a new thread rather than hijack Martin's though?
Thank you for bringing e-bikeshop up. Its precisely because the de-restricted e-bikes (haibike, moustache, and doubtless soon koga) he promotes and sells do not have a CoC that they can only be used on private land. But the on-road/off-road/private land question is trumped by the safe/unsafe product question:

Trading Standards say the bikes are likley to be safe and the dongle is likley to be safe, but combining the two components constitutes the production of a new and, as far as anyone knows, untested product which until proved otherwise by normal product testing procedures, is assumed unsafe. Investigation incomplete but looks like selling a product that is unsafe is illegal - in which case where its used is side issue.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Final thing I am saying as Martin's thread has been hijacked. Do not believe it and insurance is still an issue. You can email me proof and I will change my mind until then not convinced.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Okay (sorry Martin but this is a really interesting subject that a lot of the community wants to know more about :))

Here's the notes to filling in a V55/4

James
What do you put in the Tax Class?
Are you sure about no number plate?
Where / how do you get insurance?
Have you actually done it?

& for Electrifying Cycles:-
Can you prove it?

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Okay (sorry Martin but this is a really interesting subject that a lot of the community wants to know more about :))

Here's the notes to filling in a V55/4

James
What do you put in the Tax Class?
Are you sure about no number plate?
Where / how do you get insurance?
Have you actually done it?

& for Electrifying Cycles:-
Can you prove it?
Hi Wander,

Dave has kindly started a new thread..
Please re-post here.

Spencer Ivy

Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2013
the vast majority of our clients are not interested in breaking the law. they want a bike to get to work, go to the park, vet, church wherever. why is there so much interest on a public forum in discussing ways of breaking the law !? this forum is becoming increasingly marginalised and irrelevant !

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
..... this forum is becoming increasingly marginalised and irrelevant !
Yes, it's a shame really, to see a once-great community based forum reduced to little more than a moribund backstreet site inhabited by overly competitive traders.

Somehow the forum has become less diverse, the older generation which still represent the backbone of the electrically assisted bicycles market are disappearing as fast as they register as members.

I must admit, as an older E-biker, the only reason I visit this forum now is to see who is slagging-off who
.....don't seem right somehow :(

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Exactly which is why I would have loved James to prove me wrong because it would have ended the debate about speed pedelecs if you could ride them legally. I find most people I meet do not want to brake the law.

I do miss Eddie. Even if the line was a dot sometimes with him

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps

I must admit, as an older E-biker, the only reason I visit this forum now is to see who is slagging-off who
.(
The only way to steer a Public forum, like this, is to post regularly _ on the subjects that intetest You.

Only visiting & even then not posting is leaving it to someone else.
Apathy changes nothing.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the vast majority of our clients are not interested in breaking the law. they want a bike to get to work, go to the park, vet, church wherever. why is there so much interest on a public forum in discussing ways of breaking the law !? this forum is becoming increasingly marginalised and irrelevant !
Well said and very true!

I was the first outside member to join this forum in Autumn 2006 when it started and helped in bringing in the early members through links and an introductory article in my own e-bike websites.

I think all those original earliest members except me have disappeared now, and I'm now almost out of the door, just inserting the odd correction to something wrongly posted. My posting rate over the whole life of the forum was almost 11 per day, but in the last seven days I've only posted on four days, showing my reducing interest. With reference to jackhandy's comment above, that is not apathy, it's just an expression of no longer wanting to be a part of what this forum has become.

I'm not interested in UK illegal fast powered bicycles, they have absolutely nothing to do with the world of e-biking since such machines are not e-bikes in the UK or most of the rest of the world.

Last edited:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
With reference to jackhandy's comment above, that is not apathy, it's just an expression of no longer wanting to be a part of what this forum has become.
Sorry to disagree, Flecc _ but not being willing to make the effort is a definition of apathy.

If the majority of posts by new members is asking how to de-regulate ebikes & those opposed to such are not posting, it's obvious, to me anyway, where the forum is likely to be going.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry to disagree, Flecc _ but not being willing to make the effort is a definition of apathy.
I've been making the effort since 2008, what else can the average of 11 posts a day seven days a week and a total of nearly 28,000 posts mean? No one else has made remotely that much effort and I greatly resent being accused of apathy in these circumstances.

How much longer do you expect me to go on?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Actually _ If you reread my post, it was not aimed at you. You dropped in on it.
I think you dropped me in by name when you quoted my comment on not being apathetic and said you disagreed.

However, I accept that you did not mean me originally.

On the point of apathy, I can't see posting many posts about the legal scene making any difference, since what afflicts the forum is just another aspect of the widespread British view on cycling, that it's a sport biased pursuit. If the great majority think that way as they patently do, they will also dominate the posting with their desires for speed and power.

The Dutch style utility cycling that fits so well with current law scarcely exists in this country.

Also this forum has an identity problem, is it just a UK national forum or is it an international one? The German, French and Italian forums do not have this problem, their languages keep them predominantly national so any discussion of their law and speeds and powers allowed is relevant.

Our English language forum can be read by much of the world and we have a number of overseas members as a result. That means UK legal aspects aren't relevant to many reading posts and the water is muddied by the more international view. The end result is that we can't really claim to be just a UK forum, that in turn meaning the fast and powerful powered bike brigade can claim some legitimacy. Giving them their own euphemistically named forum was just an acceptance of that.

Reactions: jackhandy

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Yes, it's a shame really, to see a once-great community based forum reduced to little more than a moribund backstreet site inhabited by overly competitive traders.

Somehow the forum has become less diverse, the older generation which still represent the backbone of the electrically assisted bicycles market are disappearing as fast as they register as members.

.....don't seem right somehow :(
Blew it, I had an interesting conversation at the NEC Cycle show involving a good number of other e-bike sellers,some of these used to be regular contributors to this forum,I think the forum was the richer for it.
But all of us agreed that 'less is more' when making postings. I also now make much less postings,only posting when I think I can add significantly to the content of a thread or some important new release or event.
The result is the content of the forum seems to be less diverse,which is a shame. The forum seems overly occupied with throttles and illegal bikes, I note that one posting is announcing that soon BBS02 will become available with 500 watts,why muck around put 800 watts in it and get 'hung for a sheep rather than a lamb'
I speak often to Tom at the LEBC and Colin at KTM,we are all agreed that 250 watts is more than enough,is legal and is also in the spirit of what Pedelecs were conceived,if you want high power without pedalling and no exercise surely a legal motor bike is a better option.
KudosDave

Reactions: tillson and flecc