Raleigh Talus IE - Electric not working

bikeguy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 27, 2024
I live in the US and bought this bike (https://adventureelectric.bike/electric-bike-brands/raleigh-talus-ie-step-thru/) and it has 80 miles on it. I ride this bike on paved roads and few weeks ago when riding, the chain came off. Ever since, the electric power stopped working. When I looked at the bike under the v frame i found a piece with wires haning (see pictures). What is the problem and how can i fix it. Seems like Raleigh is no longer sold in the US. Appreciate your help.57437tempImageFKS9mb.jpg

Attachments

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
It looks to me as if the Torque Sensor has been broken off when the chain came off. Good news is that it's a Suntour part, not specific to Raleigh. Spares are available on ebay here in the UK - you'd need to check your own US sources. Google "Suntour HESC Torque Sensor" and you should find the part.

Member @saneagle here knows that Suntour system inside out and may be able to suggest other/repair suggestions.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
That one is completely broken, so needs a replacement. There are two versions. The older one has a 4 pin connector and the newer has 6 pins, so make sure you get the correct one. Note that you often find them listed under the brand of bike rather than "Suntour HESC", and they're used on many brands.

bikeguy

Apr 27, 2024
That one is completely broken, so needs a replacement. There are two versions. The older one has a 4 pin connector and the newer has 6 pins, so make sure you get the correct one. Note that you often find them listed under the brand of bike rather than "Suntour HESC", and they're used on many brands.
Thank you. Looks like a soldering issue. Is it possible for me to buy one of these and put it together myself? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185520759109?itmmeta=01HWG5WK33MJANTWV6RX6RWEW3&hash=item2b31e62145:g:OQgAAOSwwsVi56Ec&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAABAE55L1emKhmeJqGMMJpkosat/jOwKRBrCZ/MPAmXimEMtsUNF+x+Neqp846/SPfAkH3ZT19/BPVugfCR0HycPm07io33ON9h57cpAz93dYmWJp/T9Jd/OglTG9PUMS4e1Ma2m7J8AvS7ri0tCzV4wk5ZhJwnt0BDEHAgs8IXMeS+kb6ZGy4Fa332POMYWTHFaXSx4l+C+wDAW11g/+VzYbFex4vtTNhv9r0aMWSAqtUpL9LrPlFAIlfhYhZl2UR+Oc2l0NWXJ717yh5MImqCarltJ9B9IQ8v6sZT5rPAmWDvPgxSVY7iyhkibr1MA/eSe0eQKJ4V3e62+HJFSewIbvE=|tkp:BFBM2LHyheRj

Has anyone tried it? Another problem with buying a sensor is that I don't know how many pins.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The sensor plugs into a connector on the controller that sits in a compartment ent at the bottom of the battery. There should be a small removable panel there that gives access to the connectors. Yours looks like the 6 pin version, but best to unplug it to check.

You have to remove the chainwheel assembly so that you can remove the three screws that held it in place before screwing on the new one.

Note that when you reassemble, there's a lug near the axle that has to go between the two lugs on the sensor to stop it rotating with the chainwheel.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
If its only done 80 mile, the best thing to do is not take anything apart and just take it back to the shop you got it from, or contact Raleigh direct.
Called the 'chain stays'

--------------------------------------------------------

On an unrelated side note.
Something i keep seeing on bike descriptions.
" and 2.25-inch wide tires absorb bumps and add stability. "
Stability how ? Roadies are riding really narrow tyres(25mm and less) pumped up to 3x the pressure of standard city bikes, and they dont fall off all the time.

Maybe us city riders just dont have any balance :D

bikeguy

Apr 27, 2024
If its only done 80 mile, the best thing to do is not take anything apart and just take it back to the shop you got it from, or contact Raleigh direct.

Called the 'chain stays'

--------------------------------------------------------

On an unrelated side note.
Something i keep seeing on bike descriptions.
" and 2.25-inch wide tires absorb bumps and add stability. "
Stability how ? Roadies are riding really narrow tyres(25mm and less) pumped up to 3x the pressure of standard city bikes, and they dont fall off all the time.

Maybe us city riders just dont have any balance :D
Thanks for your response. The problem is that I bought it in 2020/21 from Costco. I don’t think that is an option - past warranty period. Is it not easy to remove the grey stuff, solder the white wire, buy the stuff on ebay and put it back together? Has anyone done that?

bikeguy

Apr 27, 2024
The sensor plugs into a connector on the controller that sits in a compartment ent at the bottom of the battery. There should be a small removable panel there that gives access to the connectors. Yours looks like the 6 pin version, but best to unplug it to check.

You have to remove the chainwheel assembly so that you can remove the three screws that held it in place before screwing on the new one.

Note that when you reassemble, there's a lug near the axle that has to go between the two lugs on the sensor to stop it rotating with the chainwheel.
Thanks for your response. Looks like too much work. Can I remove the grey stuff, solder the white wire, buy the stuff from ebay and put it back together?

bikeguy

Apr 27, 2024
This looks like a design flaw. One user was complaining on youtube that every time the chain comes off, it takes the sensor with it. What kind of a crappy design is this? see the fourth comment from the bottom

I bought the bike for “Raleigh" name. Looks like it is C**p. Raleigh got out of the business of selling bikes in the US.

Last edited: