Raleigh Velo Cite replacement battery or re-cell

Pikpilot

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 18, 2013
After 4 years and 4000 miles the battery needs replacement. What are the options- does anyone offer a service to put in new cells? It seems unlikely that Raleigh will offer any assistance.

The original battery was made by Phylion Battery Co in China but they don't answer my emails.
Naturally, I want to use the old charger so the new cells must be compatible. The battery is 36V 10Ah and consists of 10 cells in series. Phylion part number is XH370-10J but my battery is in a different case to those on ebay with this part number.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
E-mail Jimmy at this adress: info@bgareworking.co.uk
Also known as Insat international, he can re-cell your battery and possibly get more amp hours in there. I would think it best to go with a charger that's supplied with the new battery, although Jimmy may say different. He is well regarded on the forum.

D

Deleted member 4366

There's loads of batteries with racks on Aliexpress and BMSBattery do some as well. Take your pick. they'll all work with your bike.

Pikpilot

Feb 18, 2013
Thanks you both for your comments. I have made contact.
I would like to retain my existing battery case as it plugs into the controller.
The controller on this bike is one of the best I have ridden and treats the front wheel motor as a true torque motor.
After looking around on this forum I believe the cells on my battery may be rectangular in shape and the case may contain a cell monitoring p.c. board that protects the battery cells individually - perhaps during charging too.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
After looking around on this forum I believe the cells on my battery may be rectangular in shape and the case may contain a cell monitoring p.c. board that protects the battery cells individually - perhaps during charging too.
That's probably true. The upright Phylion battery illustrated in the link below has exactly the same XH370-10J part number;

Phylion XH370-10J battery.

Pikpilot

Feb 18, 2013
Update,
I contacted Jimmy and he offered three alternative cells at a reasonable price, all of which includes transport both ways for my battery.
I have chosen a battery cell made by Boston Power and called Swing. These are used in electric vehicles and are 15.6Ah and a life of up to 3000 charge/discharge cycles. So, 50% greater range and longer life!

I will report back when I have tried the new pack.
Here is the cell datasheet.
http://www.boston-power.com/sites/default/files/datasheets/940-0013-001 Swing 5300 DS Rev 02.pdf

Pikpilot

Feb 18, 2013
Well I got my battery back three weeks ago. Jimmy was not able to fit in the last of the Boston Power cells so went with Panasonic NCR18650GA cells; 5 in parallel, 10 in series.
When Jimmy tested the pack he found that the BMS board was faulty - a failed MOSFET, which he replaced with some difficulty - the board has a conformal coating.
All in all it took nearly two months including Christmas and Jimmy's absence for medical reasons but I am very happy with the service and the outcome. The new cells should give 70% more endurance. This has not proven to be the case yet as I have another problem which is eating up the battery. See my thread on Torque Sensor - Raleigh Velo Cite.