Range Extender for Cycle Alarm.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
The Blog post below describes how to modify one of the popular cycle disturb\motion alarms so you can get a warning that your bike is being nicked even if your out of earshot or have not so good hearing.

Trying to find an easier way to build the transmitter board, maybe with one of the Seeeduino XIOA modules.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
The Blog post below describes how to modify one of the popular cycle disturb\motion alarms so you can get a warning that your bike is being nicked even if your out of earshot or have not so good hearing.

Trying to find an easier way to build the transmitter board, maybe with one of the Seeeduino XIOA modules.
That is not the way to do it, as making it even louder will not always be appreciated, paticularly by the local Police.
The best way is a GPS tracker. Anywhere your smart phone has reception, you will be warned of vibration alarms (when correctly set up) and where your bike is, without upsetting folks.
Do have the alarm as well, as it may cause the prospective thief to change his underwear! Its also very cheap for the performance.....
All the GPSs I have had you could set up that quite low levels of vibration, would activate it, and it sends an SMS to your phone.
regards
Andy

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
That is not the way to do it, as making it even louder will not always be appreciated, paticularly by the local Police.
I agree, and if you read the article you will see the motion alarm is not made 'louder'.

And I think you missunderstand how much motion a GPS can detect, the position from a GPS will naturaly vary by circa 1M between fixes, so a GPS is of no value in detecting vibration or tampering.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I agree, and if you read the article you will see the motion alarm is not made 'louder'.

And I think you missunderstand how much motion a GPS can detect, the position from a GPS will naturaly vary by circa 1M between fixes, so a GPS is of no value in detecting vibration or tampering.
Thanks for the "louder" correction..... I have reread what was written and it is not really clear enough, but I will still take it onboard that I missread it.....

It was:-

I would have written it clearer myself....

But it seems that you have either not owned a GPS Tracker, or not had a good one with variable vibration sensitivity, or did not set it to high sensivity, or did not know how, or just how many/most GPS Trackers actually work in practise!
The ones I have had, would text as soon as even a tiny vibration was sensed, BUT, it did need the user to first setup the sensitivity level to very sensitive, so maybe some owners do not know that!!!

There is no doubt in my mind, with the right GPS tracker, with a good setup, that as long as you and your bike both have cellphone reception (easily checked when parking the bike!), then you will get a text message saying that the GPS has sensed Movement/Vibration, if any movement or vibration is sensed.
Even if for any reason the cellphone signal is momentarily lost, the Tracker will store the message and send it as soon as reception returns, possible just a few seconds....
The actual movement sensor used, it is physically built into the tracker, using different electronics to detect vibration.
It is not using GPS SAT reception as you appear to think, as that signal can vary for many, quite normal, reasons, when in use, as is simply not sensitive enough. For example buildings in cities can block it to some degree and the Satellites are constantly in motion around the globe, possible only one at a time may be received for a short time, also a passing bus/truck/lorry might also cause a change in signal level, even a thief bending over your bike can change the signal level, which is why the SAT signal is not used for vibration detecting!

I did find this picture of a car GPS, which may be of interest, showing that the motion sensor is separate from the from the GPS module, which detects the SAT signal, inside the unit, that receives the SAT signal, (taken from a German website).
This is as it is in the various GPS Tracker units I have been involved with! Maybe some cheapos do not have it at all, I have no idea on that point.
But what if someone only lightly clipped say your parked car/Bike, how would the tracker sense that, if it was ONLY referring to the received SAT signal, as you describe and believe?
Of course it could not!
The SAT signal, as I have mentioned, can vary for many reasons.......But the motion sensor is highly sensitive, and the firmware setup allows the user to set the level of sensitivity to vibration that he requires!!!
regards and if you have any further questions, please just ask and I will do my best to help you, or anyone else of course!
Andy

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
But it seems that you have either not owned a GPS Tracker, or not had a good one with variable vibration sensitivity, or did not set it to high sensivity, or did not know how, or just how many/most GPS Trackers actually work in practise!
Quite the reverse, I have been designing the hardware and software for my own GPS trackers for a number of years and selling the boards for them. I do have a good idea of how they work, what makes them not work and the limitations.

My main interest has been using GPS trackers in very long distance applications, hundreads of kilometers in high altitude balloons etc, searching for 'lost' objects at ground level etc.

So wanting to extend the distance for which I could get a notification from the movement alarm was done without attempting to use a GPS as I knew well that would add significantly to the complication and cost.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
What we need is a reliable explosive charge that can be detonated via a smartphone app.
Mounted in the saddle to blow the bast***'s boll***'s off.

Reactions: dban and Andy-Mat

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Mounted in the saddle to blow the bast***'s boll***'s off.
What we need is a reliable explosive charge that can be detonated via a smartphone app.
[/QUOTE]

Probably could be traced as to which smartphone pushed the button though.

Now with LoRa, the communications are point to point, effectivly not traceable, unless you have several people with highly directional antennas who just happened to listening and have the exact same LoRa settings, frequency and point in time. So sensitive is the LoRa that with good line of sight to the bike, the person pushing the button could be up in the ISS.

logicped

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 11, 2020
This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I was looking for, being a new paranoid bright blue Orbea ebike owner! I leave my bike at a gym approx 150 metres away for up to 90 mins. When I went to purchase a alarm/notification device, I naturally assumed that there would be some way of alerting my phone or similar if the bike was nudged, probably via a free PAYG phone SIM. Turns out that there are devices which are expensive, but they all have a monthly fee for notifications. Your device looks simple and straightforward and uses a notification technology I wasn't aware of. I wasn't even interested in an alarm to be honest, just the movement notification. If you ever produce something to sell with no monthly costs, surely it will be a massive winner???!! I will be all over it for starters.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's only expensive if the device uses an internet connection, not so if it only communicates via the sending and receiving of texts. I use this which uses a GiffGaff PAYG sim, costs about £20 a year. It has a "Shock Detection" mode, which will send you a text when someone sets it off, and that text takes about 7 seconds to arrive. It also has a speed detection mode, which sends you a text when the bike is travelling over any defined speed, such as when it's being carried off by a thief in a vehicle, say 30mph or 40mph.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
If you ever produce something to sell with no monthly costs, surely it will be a massive winner???!! I will be all over it for starters.
The alarm on its own is a good idea, low cost, and although it wont stop your bike being knicked, it might deter some who want to 'tinker' with your bike.

The technology is a (very) long range radio technology called LoRa introduced by Semtech in 2014 which pretty much stunned those of us involved in low power long distance comms. I and another guy in the UK did the first of the very long distance balloon flights using LoRa for tracking and the World woke up to the possibilites. LoRa is free to use.

Selling simple electronic stuff, that you might make DIY fasion in your shed, is OK, but there are specific regulations for radio devices and it would cost in the order of £20,000 to get a device through all the necessary testing etc, so its unlikly I would be selling the boards.

The original controller boards I used for my Cycle Alarm are OK to build for those of us used to small surface mount assembly by hand. But of course there are lots of people who are not, so I have been looking at making the whole setup very easy DIY. I have found a way that makes the assembly of the Cycle Alarm transmitter and receiver very simple, all you need is basic soldering skills. The board that will act as transmitter and receiver is below, and is discussed here;

https://stuartsprojects.github.io/2022/10/15/Seeeduino_XIAO-Part3.html

Its described in the context of a GPS tracker, but without the GPS you can use the board as the Cycle Alarm range extender. The above board can be used as a receiver, or there is an even easier to assemble board here;

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I use this which uses a GiffGaff PAYG sim, costs about £20 a year. It has a "Shock Detection" mode, which will send you a text when someone sets it off, and that text takes about 7 seconds to arrive.
How do you charge it and how long does it last on a charge ?

logicped

May 11, 2020
This was what I was looking for originally, just something that sent an SMS, so no mobile data or subscription costs etc. I assume you would need credit on the SIM though (which is fine) but does this expire if it's not used within a certain time?

It's only expensive if the device uses an internet connection, not so if it only communicates via the sending and receiving of texts. I use this which uses a GiffGaff PAYG sim, costs about £20 a year. It has a "Shock Detection" mode, which will send you a text when someone sets it off, and that text takes about 7 seconds to arrive. It also has a speed detection mode, which sends you a text when the bike is travelling over any defined speed, such as when it's being carried off by a thief in a vehicle, say 30mph or 40mph.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
How do you charge it and how long does it last on a charge ?
It charges via a small micro-USB port under a waterproofing flap. Charge lasts about 5 days with occasional night use, in my experience. Annoyingly, it sends a text when it's running low, which costs 10p a time and there's no way to turn that off lol. I suspect it's sending intel to it's Chinese masters... but it'd send much more if I used it's app, which costs far more because it requires an internet connection.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This was what I was looking for originally, just something that sent an SMS, so no mobile data or subscription costs etc. I assume you would need credit on the SIM though (which is fine) but does this expire if it's not used within a certain time?
GiffGaff requires that you make a call or send a text to keep the number, even if it has credit. I've set my GiffGaff account to auto-topup with £10. Every so often I send the light a text, and it sends a text back with GPS co-ordinates and a Google Maps link, which keeps the GiffGaff number alive, otherwise it expires after it's usual 180 day timeframe.

Reactions: logicped

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
GiffGaff requires that you make a call or send a text to keep the number, even if it has credit. I've set my GiffGaff account to auto-topup with £10. Every so often I send the light a text, and it sends a text back with GPS co-ordinates and a Google Maps link, which keeps the GiffGaff number alive, otherwise it expires after it's usual 180 day timeframe.
Years back when I stopped work and they wanted the free mobile back, I got a d elcheapo mobile phone that is just a phone, is small and lasts for 2+ weeks on a charge. I bought at the time a £10 credit with 3, which does not expire, and is still going more than 3 years later, I dont use a mobile much. Need to make a call every so often to avoid loosing the number.

So things that need regular charging or need a mobile phone that can run an 'app' are not within my sphere of use.

Reactions: logicped

logicped

May 11, 2020
I have zero knowledge of this kind of thing Stuart, but it sounds like the kid of thing I would need. Ideally, I would just want:

- No GPS, No alarm
- Press a button when I park my bike
- Motion sensor kicks in when someone tries to steal it
- Alert gets sent via LoRa to a small receiver I keep on my person.
- As small as possible to strap under the seat or make it look like a fake water bottle etc.
- No faffing with SIM's, rear lights, recharging frequently etc.

I will keep an eye on your site and find someone locally who can build something like this for me!

But of course there are lots of people who are not, so I have been looking at making the whole setup very easy DIY. I have found a way that makes the assembly of the Cycle Alarm transmitter and receiver very simple, all you need is basic soldering skills. The board that will act as transmitter and receiver is below, and is discussed here;

https://stuartsprojects.github.io/2022/10/15/Seeeduino_XIAO-Part3.html

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Years back when I stopped work and they wanted the free mobile back, I got a d elcheapo mobile phone that is just a phone, is small and lasts for 2+ weeks on a charge. I bought at the time a £10 credit with 3, which does not expire, and is still going more than 3 years later, I dont use a mobile much. Need to make a call every so often to avoid loosing the number.

So things that need regular charging or need a mobile phone that can run an 'app' are not within my sphere of use.
This GPS tracker is at the limit of what I'd put up with from that sort of device. I would never use the accompanying app, so it's text-only function simplicity and cheapness keeps me cheerful. It comes in handy whenever I need co-ordinates quickly - send a text to mark the spot for later reference. The last two occasions were after finding dead or dying cats on the road.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
- Motion sensor kicks in when someone tries to steal it
My tracker light needs to be left immobile for 5 minutes before the shock detection mode kicks in, after I've sent a text from my mobile phone saying "shock123456". To diable, it's "noshock123456".

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I will keep an eye on your site and find someone locally who can build something like this for me!
It's a very cool project. TBH It doesn't look too hard to solder, and I'm no skilled solderer.

logicped

May 11, 2020
Ah, that was my final question. I could automate this using the Tasker app on my phone, so in theory I could just click one button to arm it and another to disarm it.

My tracker light needs to be left immobile for 5 minutes before the shock detection mode kicks in, after I've sent a text from my mobile phone saying "shock123456". To diable, it's "noshock123456".