Range of new Yamaha Motors

rsyme

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2013
Co.Wexford, Ireland
Anyone have any details of the "real world" range of the new Yamaha motors in the Haibike SDuro range of bikes - I am particularly interested in the Treking bike to get a comparison with the Kalkhoff Impulse

Cheers!

Robbie

D

Deleted member 4366

What range anybody else claims is absolutely meaningless. As it's approximately the same power as a Kalkhoff Impulse, you can expect the consumption to be approximately the same for the same type of riding. Therefore, you only need to look at the number of watt-hours in the battery to compare.

rsyme

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2013
Co.Wexford, Ireland
Martin,
Have you tested the system riding in the UK rather than accepting the manufacturer's claims? i.e. if you ride for x miles/Kms of mixed terrain on road / trail in standard power, how much battery was used?

Robbie

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Robbie,

Please read my blog.
During the ride of very mixed terrain the system did not skip a beat at all. We had plenty of descents and climbs. When we set out the capacity showed 52% on the head unit. After 3.5 hours of quite hilly terrain we arrived back with 21% still showing. So we only used about 20% of its usage. This was mainly in ‘High’ & ‘Standard’ assistance although we did try also try the ‘Eco’ setting too.
You can read the full article here.

Regards
Martin

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I had an interesting conversation a few days ago with a lad who had been thinking about buying a Haibike with the Yamaha motor fitted. He said that he had decided against the idea when he spotted that only the low end Haibikes were fitted with the motor, and questioned why if the motors were so great, that Haibike didn't fit them to high end bikes, over the Bosch motor.
I like the look of the Yamaha unit, and I would imagine that it will be pretty much the most reliable and possibly bullet proof unit available, but the question that the lad raised, was something that I hadn't even noticed or considered before. Good observation on his part though.

Reactions: Gringo

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
The new sDuro range is focussed on younger riders with lighter pockets. Its also a great opportunity for anyone to get onto a German built crank drive eBike without breaking the bank. I also love the integration of the Yamaha on the sDuro's.
The sDuro's range from £1850 to £3700

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Of the two, Bosch or Yamaha, I think that I would choose the latter. This isn't based on any experience of either, but Yamaha have been in the ebike business longer and have been producing vehicle power plants longer still. For some reason, I really like the look of the Yamaha motor and I hope that it does well.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Of the two, Bosch or Yamaha, I think that I would choose the latter. This isn't based on any experience of either, but Yamaha have been in the ebike business longer and have been producing vehicle power plants longer still. For some reason, I really like the look of the Yamaha motor and I hope that it does well.
Have you seen my comparison article? Took ages to write ;)

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Have you seen my comparison article? Took ages to write ;)
I haven't seen it yet and would like to.
I've been up & down your posts and can't find it :(
A link would be nice (please)

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
The new sDuro range is focussed on younger riders with lighter pockets. Its also a great opportunity for anyone to get onto a German built crank drive eBike without breaking the bank. I also love the integration of the Yamaha on the sDuro's.
The sDuro's range from £1850 to £3700
Martin, my pocket was a certainly a lot lighter having visited your shop.

Reactions: Martin@e-bikeshop

rsyme

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2013
Co.Wexford, Ireland
Martin - I would love to "pop down" to your shop, however, that's a bit of a journey from Co Wexford in Ireland!!!! Who knows I may be over on the "mainland" sometime and will certainly try and get to see your setup then.

Thanks for your patience with my queries!

Robbie

Reactions: Martin@e-bikeshop

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Hmm, the Yamaha is slightly more powerful, lighter and can take two rings and is cheaper.
Why is anyone going to buy the Bosch?

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Hmm, the Yamaha is slightly more powerful, lighter and can take two rings and is cheaper.
It also has cleaner lines from the down tube to the bottom bracket.

That's the one & only thing about my Cube that disappoints me, I'm reluctant to ride over fallen trees and the like because the plastic motor case would be the first thing to get whacked :mad: And yes before you ask, fallen trees are quite common in the woods I ride :p
A longish trail can be spoilt by a trunk across it especially after a good downhill bit, bunny hoping is also a no no these days (arthritis) so I have to step off the bike to get over :(

I keep thinking about knocking something up in my shed :rolleyes: Like the sump guards I had on my trials bikes (in olden days when you could tell a mans worth by the size of his cheese) :)

big_gems

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 21, 2013
Can you buy the Yamaha as a kit for retro fit? Is it similar in power to bbs02 on 36v?