Rear casette

Bigkevp

Pedelecer
May 30, 2016
west sussex
Hey all, currently riding a haibike since June really loving it, recently replaced the rear cassette due to 9th and 10 slipping that was 2 months ago and now it's started to slip again! Is there a stronger alternative to the standard hg50? Bike is currently on 1974 miles and casette was renewed around 1400....... many thanks.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hey all, currently riding a haibike since June really loving it, recently replaced the rear cassette due to 9th and 10 slipping that was 2 months ago and now it's started to slip again! Is there a stronger alternative to the standard hg50? Bike is currently on 1974 miles and casette was renewed around 1400....... many thanks.
I ran 3000 Miles on mine and it still looked like new. Could it be your chain?

Bigkevp

Pedelecer
May 30, 2016
west sussex
Don't believe it to be the chain as when it happened before I changed the chain first and it still slipped thereafter renewed the casette and it was fine! I'm roughly 17.5 stone, not fat as such lol just 6ft 7ins lol so the drive gear has a lot of stress put through it!

Generally it's best to replaces the chain at the same time as the cassette. Always replace them together. They run together as a partnership.
They wear together and replacing one without the other can result in the part worn and new components not meshing. It then quickly wears the new component and slipping/skipping/jumping starts again.
It could of course be something completely different, but the history of chain or cassette not being replaced together tells a tale.
Have you checked gear hanger alignment? Perhaps that's taken a little knock putting the gears out of line.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

Are you sure it's not the derailleur incorrectly set, in particular rear screw that adjusts the top jocky wheel position, sometimes referred to as the tension screw? The teeth would have to be extremely worn to allow jumping, which would be obvious when you look at it. Bear in mind that the shape of the teeth is not symmetrical, so even a new one looks a bit worn if you didn't know. Here's an image of a new one for reference:
https://www.bike24.com/i/p/8/0/8008_00_d.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Emo Rider
The first time it slipped the casette was replaced 1 day after the chain....
Although replaced the next day after slipping, hadn't the new chain been running on the old cassette for a few hundred miles or so?

If my misunderstanding means that in fact the chain and cassette were replaced together, or 1 day apart, one wouldn't expect a problem, save that of a stiff link?
Does the problem only happen when under heavy load on the pedals? Can you hear the gears chinking when just cruising flat land suggesting SIS out of tune or derailleur/ hanger bent?

Bigkevp

Pedelecer
May 30, 2016
west sussex
The gears are correctly meshed as there is no sounder of the chain trying to jump to the next gear, when I said the casette was changed the day after I hadn't rode any miles on it since it was still slipping so after the new casette was fit Ted the problem went away!
Also it's only a problem on a heavy load like if I suddenly slowed for traffic then was back on the power it will slip... thanks for the input tho I'm glad to have people to discuss this problem with.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
I think the issue is your bike is under geared for your use, the smallest sprockets obviously have the least number of teeth. Your statement that it happens under heavy loads after you have slowed for traffic suggests you haven't changed down and are using the motors torque to accelerate again. The likelihood of this sort of problem is one of the reasons I converted my Haibike to dual chainrings, I found I was constantly in one of the top two gears where now I am in the middle of the cassette with a 44t chainring.

• Agree
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you get a bigger front sprocket you will use more of the gears on the cassette and not wear out the smallest on the rear.

i have 15t and 18t and use more of the gears with the 18t so even out the wear on the cassette.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you could try a more expensive one or change to 11 speed with the wide narrow teeth but if you are in those gears all the time they will wear out just depends how long it will last.

i clean and lube my chain after every ride as a new cassette is 190 quid and not far off 3000 miles and its still ok.

Bigkevp

Pedelecer
May 30, 2016
west sussex
I do a weekly clean and lube, I use a silicone ptfe spray grease, why have you gone with an expensive casette? The hg50 is roughly £20. Think my weight is an issue lol

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I do a weekly clean and lube, I use a silicone ptfe spray grease, why have you gone with an expensive casette? The hg50 is roughly £20. Think my weight is an issue lol
I don't think weight is an issue. It's the riders power + the motor that drives the bike. If you are overweight you are likely to apply less power to the pedals than a lighter, perhaps fitter rider.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015