Rear puncture on Wisper 705 SE

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Great story Flecc......but imho you don't have to use rubber solution on the patch. Just a little on the punctured surface of the tube. The patches are ready for use. In the old days they cut patches from an old inner tube, then they had to put rubber cement to it.

(P.S. some 10.000 punctures repaired by me).
I'd not thought about doing that, now I know where I'm getting my new patches from. :)

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
In the last couple of years, patches have appeared that are self adhesive and so need no glue. I'd recommend making up a small emergency toolkit and stowing it on the bike somewhere.
- Tiny pump. Takes a lot of pump strokes but you can easily get enough pressure to get you home.
- Set of plastic tyre levers
- Packet of self-adhesive patches
- 4,5,6mm allen keys
- Optional. A multi-spanner for bolts that are not quick release. As said above, hub motors with 18mm nuts may make this moot.

Fit M+ tyres and wrap the whole pack in duct tape and then zip tie it or velcro fasten it somewhere out of the way.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've found self adhesive patches fail too frequently, so only good for temporary emergency use.

I wouldn't recommend making your patches out of tube material Mussels. We used to do it during and post WW2 and even commercial patches from later times had square edges. In both cases any shift of tube against tyre tends to peel a patch due to the right-angle edge catching on the tyre carcase, renewing the puncture, hence the modern tapered edge patches.

tonio

Pedelecer
Aug 15, 2009
punctures

I Notice the slime tubes dont get good reviews but i repaired a puncture on my Wisper 905 rear wheel a few weeks ago using the slime SKABS patches.
Far easier and quicker than the glue and patch messy business, good job I.M.O :) despite the name :eek:
Well so far.......how long is temporary?

Last edited:

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
Hello, I decided to see if my local (non-electric) cycle shop would be able to do my repair. In fact when they said they would I decided to take the chance to have new , fatter tyres fitted. The shop couldn't have been more helpful, they hadn't dealt with an electric bike before but figured out how to disconnect the motor-and also sorted the front wheel, which they noticed Halfords had put back on back to front ! I took the bike out today as soon as I got it back , the only problem is that while pedelec is working fine the throttle isn't working atall. It may just be something that hasn't been re-connected but I'm wondering if something could have been damaged when Halford's were trying to get the back wheel off before deciding they couldn't do it, as the local shop found connections hanging loose,even though the repair wasn't done.Any advice would be appreciated, thanks:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The throttle connections are only between the throttle itself and the controller, which I guess on your model is beneath the battery. There are no connections from the throttle direct to the motor and the motor connections to the controller could not cause this fault.

Therefore first check out the wiring from the throttle to the controller, making sure nothing is unplugged or disconnected en-route.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Hello, I decided to see if my local (non-electric) cycle shop would be able to do my repair. In fact when they said they would I decided to take the chance to have new , fatter tyres fitted. The shop couldn't have been more helpful, they hadn't dealt with an electric bike before but figured out how to disconnect the motor-and also sorted the front wheel, which they noticed Halfords had put back on back to front ! I took the bike out today as soon as I got it back , the only problem is that while pedelec is working fine the throttle isn't working atall. It may just be something that hasn't been re-connected but I'm wondering if something could have been damaged when Halford's were trying to get the back wheel off before deciding they couldn't do it, as the local shop found connections hanging loose,even though the repair wasn't done.Any advice would be appreciated, thanks:)
Does the throttle work briefly when the bike is stationary? If so they may have connected up an unwanted lead which disables throttle only.

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
Hi Mussels, no its completely dead, absolutely nothing happens when I twist the throttle:mad:(

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
Hi Mussels, no its completely dead, absolutely nothing happens when I twist the throttle:mad:(

PowaRider

Official Trade Member
Oct 26, 2008
Cheltenham
www.powarider.com
Hi there,

Switch off the battery or remove it from the bike.

Have a gentle probe around the controller housing underneath the battery - you'll should see a couple of purple wires, if they are connected - disconnect them.

If you can't locate the purple wires easily - using an allen key remove the 3 bolts securing the controller housing plate to the l/h side of the bike (non crank side) - this will give you access to the controller. It's a silver box about the size of a cigarette packet with various cables spewing from it - don't be put off but have a gentle probe and a good look for those purple cables. Disconnect them if they are connected together. Fix the plate back on to the controller housing.

If that doesn't resolve the problem please contact Wisper Support:
Wisper Service Enquiries

All the best
Regards
Steve