Rear Sprocket for Kalkhoff

PedelecCommuter

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 22, 2007
Firstly thanks for all good advice you can get on this forum - that has helped me choose a new bike to replace my lafree. I want to order an 18 tooth sprocket to fit to my new Kalkhoff bike that is arriving soon. I have been to the SJS website recommended by Flecc and think maybe I need

- Hub Gear Sprocket - Fits Sturmey Archer / Sachs / Sram and Shimano hub gears >>> 18T1/8

Does that sound like the right one?

TKS

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, that will be fine, but will gear it up substantially. The power assistance will start to phase down at 15mph and end at 18.5 mph, so that will reduce the range substantially since you'll be using power virtually all the time.

Best bear that in mind first, making sure it will be ok for your journeys.

Last edited:

PedelecCommuter

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 22, 2007
I only commute 6 miles each way with daily recharge so I think it should be fine and there is only one steep hill that is only about 100m metres long. Thanks for the help.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That will be no problem then, and anyway, you could always use Eco on the bits when the going was easy to halve the consumption any time you wanted to do a long ride.

Citrus

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2007
That's what I did

I put an 18T rear sprocket on my Agattu and the gearing now suits me much better. I use mainly the 5th, 6th and 7th gears. The worst scenario I get is a range of 28 miles with power set to 1 all the time with some decent hills thrown in. Normally I get a 35 miles - a mixture of setting 1 and switched off entirely. Hope this helps.