Rear Tyre

Marky T

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2009
Hi all,

I'm in need of a new rear tyre and can't seem to make up my mind which one to buy. I am looking for a mainly road use with good rolling properties, but able to provide a bit more grip for gravel and loose surface riding on paths etc. Anybody got any suggestions? I've got 26x1.9 at the moment, but want to go wider, say 2.00, 2.10, cost not a problem.

Thanks Marky T

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Hi all,

I'm in need of a new rear tyre and can't seem to make up my mind which one to buy. I am looking for a mainly road use with good rolling properties, but able to provide a bit more grip for gravel and loose surface riding on paths etc. Anybody got any suggestions? I've got 26x1.9 at the moment, but want to go wider, say 2.00, 2.10, cost not a problem.

Thanks Marky T
I`ve just fitted Marathon Plus Tour tyres, slightly more tread that the ordinary Marathon Plus, better grip on gravel and light mud but still a pretty good roll.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've found that tread makes little difference on firm ground but a fat tyre is better than thin, a 2.35 Big Apple at reduced pressure worked very well for me. They roll well, fell more secure on gravel tracks and are very comfy.

Marky T

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2009
Hi all,
Fitted Schwalbe Hurricane 26x2.00 today to rear wheel, took bike for a short ride,seems a lot smoother on the road than my Kenda Quick which I took off, it had done about 1600 miles and was almost completely worn out.
Has anyone had any Schwalbe tyres? What do you reckon?

Marky T

D

Deleted member 4366

Both my friend and myself have fitted Schwalber City Jets to our bikes. They make an amazing difference to the rolling. I had kenda slicks before, which don't roll as well. The City jets require less effort to pedal and seem to go up hills more easily. Luckily, I havn't had the chance to test the grip yet, so I can't really comment on it.