Received eBike kit and Started Install

Cathal

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2016
Kit arrived during the week but was too busy to start the install till Saturday

Got this machine from Halfords at the weekend to be base for my eBike.

Saturday came and I began to construct however quickly ran into some difficulty as the crank arms would just not come off, I went to the local bike shop today and they helped remove them and also take out axle and pretty much everything inside the bottom bracket part. I worked throughout the last 7 hours or so installing it all and I will say it was much harder than I anticipated, its tough work, my ebike building idea was perhaps a bit naive. I've got most of the basics covered and the motor works when activated. I had it out for a very brief test run after I ensured everything safe and wow does it move. There are lots of temporary fixes in place that I'll need to permanently take care of over the next few days.

Here is the partially finished bike.

Here's my trusty friend who kept me company through it all. Apart from almost eating a plastic componenet she was a star.

Here's some left over parts that I still have to install. I cant figure out what they are for. I think the spring in middle, the four silver screws on right and two black screws on right may be spares from the bike and not related to the Bafang kit perhaps. Any help in identifying these would be great.

A few questions:

I have Shimano gears on my bike exactly like the image below. I've yet to install the new brake levers on the handlebars. Are these two parts compatible?

When installing the fixing plate with the M6*12 screws the plate slightly bends towards the screws, perhaps I am screwing these too tight or is this supposed to occur?

I've left on the chain guide derailleur for the front chain section as I don't have necessary kit to remove it? Is it actually better left on? I hear it can help chain stay on when changing gears.

When I was screwing in the M33 nuts after the fixing plate I could only find one, is the other anywhere in my spares image above. Also I'm not sure it'd fit in because the existing M33 nut takes up almost all the thread.

I've got a small threaded ring that says "8fun 25-30N.m ->" on it where does this go?

How do you work out Newtons when screwing in components?

Is it eBike or ebike?

Cathal

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2016
Can't edit above post as I'm on mobile.

Also, how on earth do I install the thumb throttle? I have half twist coming soon but still would be nice to install this right for the time being.

Is the gear sensor worth getting?

cosybike

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2009
www.cosybike.co.uk
Dunno what half twist is but hairspray or a solvent may be required to get the handle bar grips off and on again. you may need to do that with brakes anyway.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
The split rings on the left are spacers to fit the lcd to different sized handlebars.
The bit with 3 prongs fits inside the thumb throttle on the handlebar grip side so the throttle does not stick open.
The thumb throttle simply plugs into the colour coded connection and slides over the end of the handlebar.
The 2 large bolts are your old crank securing bolts and the other bits are probably from the battery or the bike itself.
Keep the front derrailiuer on but set it so the chain does not rub on it (mine only rubs when in bottom gear.
IMPORTANT make sure that the fixing plate has the toothed side towards the bike frame and NOT towards the pedals.
The threaded ring IS the second M33 nut.
If you have a 68mm BB then it threads on next to the first nut and actually hides it.
If it wont go on (73mm BB) then you need to use thread locking fluid on the 33mm nut thats currently on.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the previous post is the shortest installation manual for BBS02 I've ever seen. Well done.

Reactions: Kinninvie

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
As long as you have the tools it takes less than an hour to install a BBS .
Of course that assumes you know which parts have left hand threads!!
It takes longer to route and fix the wires than it does to install the motor.

Reactions: VictoryV

Cathal

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2016
Thanks for the replies everybody. Any ideas on combining the new brakes and shimano gear levers?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Thanks for the replies everybody. Any ideas on combining the new brakes and shimano gear levers?
No, that's no going to work. Your existing brakes and gear levers are integrated, so the new ones cannot be used.

Google 'Hidden Wire Brake Sensor'.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you can get a pair of hydraulic brake sensors and glue them to your levers.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England

Cathal

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2016
I've managed to get the left hand side sorted because I no longer need the gears on the front hub however the right hand side I still need the gears. I was wondering is it absolutely necessary to install the new brakes on the right hand side? Its responsible for the front tyre braking and so isn't directly in contact with the motor or chain.

Last edited:

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
You only need one cut out.
Best put on the rear brake as thats the one that should be used all the time whereas the front brake wont be used on slipppy surfaces.

Cathal

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2016
Got the rear brake replaced with new brake, was easy enough. Just left the front brake as is.