Recently retired Civil Engineer

Nkata

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 9, 2019
Hi,
I'm no longer doing the massive mileage, or much at all now and I have been using a mountain bike with road tyres as my daily shopper or riding out machine. My legs or lungs not being as good as they used to be, a ten mile round trip mainly on the flat is about my present limit. I am here out of interest for either buying a new ebike or converting my old Carrera Vulcan MTB. I hope you can help with this.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Either conversion or new bike take a look at the offerings from Woosh. http://wooshbikes.co.uk/
I guess once you go electric you may want to ride up to 20 miles or so, including hills?

I don't know how old you are; it may well be worth thinking a little ahead and considering a step-through. I'm 72, reasonably fit but often stiff back and hips. Getting on/off our tandem (full crossbar) can be quite a ow-oof, especially if we stop with left side downhill for any reason. Our Raleigh Motus low step (hub gears) is a delight to get on and off. The tandem has Woosh front hub conversion, Motus (2nd hand) was built as electric. We didn't convert a solo partly because of the step-through issue.

Nkata

Oct 9, 2019
Either conversion or new bike take a look at the offerings from Woosh. http://wooshbikes.co.uk/
I guess once you go electric you may want to ride up to 20 miles or so, including hills?

I don't know how old you are; it may well be worth thinking a little ahead and considering a step-through. I'm 72, reasonably fit but often stiff back and hips. Getting on/off our tandem (full crossbar) can be quite a ow-oof, especially if we stop with left side downhill for any reason. Our Raleigh Motus low step (hub gears) is a delight to get on and off. The tandem has Woosh front hub conversion, Motus (2nd hand) was built as electric. We didn't convert a solo partly because of the step-through issue.
Hi, sjpt,

I'm 67 and fairly active weighing only 10st or so. But with COPD and a recent op, I just feel that some days the wind is too brisk or hills are too adverse. I will look at the link you have posted, thanks.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Nkata

Oct 9, 2019

My first thought was to convert this bike using a front hub conversion with pedal assistance. The forks are Rock shox SID air suspension which are easily adjusted for weight. I would look for a road legal setup with a 30 mile typical range. The gears use shimano shifters and cassettes. The brakes are v type on shimano rims with quick release.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
front hub is easy to fit to your bike but rear hub conversion gives you better traction.
what is the tyre size on your Carerra? I can't read it from your picture.

Nkata

Oct 9, 2019
front hub is easy to fit to your bike but rear hub conversion gives you better traction.
what is the tyre size on your Carerra? I can't read it from your picture.
26" x 1.5". Originally fitted with 2.25" wide MTB tyres but using narrow road tyres mainly at the moment.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I wouldn't fit a motor to those forks. It will spoil their operation and there's a fair chance that you'll break them. The lowers are magnesium. Also, on some SID versions, the drop-outs are not the most inboard point, which brings clearance problems. A rear motor is better anyway for many other reasons.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I wouldn't fit a motor to those forks. It will spoil their operation and there's a fair chance that you'll break them. The lowers are magnesium. A rear motor is better anyway for many other reasons.
there is a risk with magnesium lowers but the XF07 is lightweight enough (2.8kgs) not to break his fork.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi
Welcome to the site and good luck with whatever you decide
I would also go rear hub
Traction is better and the bike feels more natural and secure being driven from the correct end
With a front hub traction is an issue and I would also be cautious asking the forks to do something they were not designed to do

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I tend to agree with the above remarks about the forks, though I successfully fitted a front hub kit around 6 years back, XF07 hub (not from Woosh) to magnesium forks similar to yours.
I haven't experienced any problems having fitted a good quality torque arm and carefully used a hand file to open out the drop outs to take the extra depth of the axle.
The forks are still fine even after a lot of off road use and the bike is now on it's second battery and in the hands of a friend who's very happy with it.
A couple of years back I fitted a Woosh rear wheel kit to a different bike and though I'd been happy with the front hub at the time the rear hub was a revelation, the bike rides so much better and has a much more natural feel. Although the rear wheel kit was a bit more fiddly to fit I wouldn't use a front hub again from choice.
Your bike looks perfect for a kit and I would recommend considering a Woosh kit, along with many others on this forum my experience with Woosh has been excellent.
I guess if you did go for a front hub kit the wheel would come disc brake ready and would enable you to upgrade to a front disc fairly cheaply as I think I can see disc brakes lugs in your picture but I would still advise a rear wheel hub kit rather than front.
Welcome to the forum.
Dave.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
there is a risk with magnesium lowers but the XF07 is lightweight enough (2.8kgs) not to break his fork.
It's not the type or weight of motor that breaks the drop-outs. It's the installation. He has a 9mm axle, so he'll need to file the drop-outs too, but without inboard drop-outs, he'd be out anyway, so no point in discussing until that's verified.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I broke a really nice set of magura forks with mag lowers. But it was a big old BPM motor and overvolted

I did spend ages filing the dropouts by hand so as not to overdo it. I also used torque arms

But they were jubilee clip type not bolted on. So prob an installation issue as well as weight and power

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's not the type or weight of motor that breaks the drop-outs. It's the installation. He has a 9mm axle, so he'll need to file the drop-outs too, but without inboard drop-outs, he'd be out anyway, so no point in discussing until that's verified.
I usually ask for photos and check them out for potential issues before making up the kit.

Nkata

Oct 9, 2019
Hey, Thanks for all the discussion guys. I believe I thought that the front hub would be more of a drop in solution but I guess there are issues. I understand the rear drive being preferable for grip and I don't really fancy filing the drop-outs so maybe that will end the discussion. It is a sturdy frame so I think it will take the required mods and extra weight (I am 5' 10" and ~68kg so there's a bit of spare left there). I will read up a bit more and be in touch again.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hey, Thanks for all the discussion guys. I believe I thought that the front hub would be more of a drop in solution but I guess there are issues. I understand the rear drive being preferable for grip and I don't really fancy filing the drop-outs so maybe that will end the discussion. It is a sturdy frame so I think it will take the required mods and extra weight (I am 5' 10" and ~68kg so there's a bit of spare left there). I will read up a bit more and be in touch again.
you have a quick release at the rear too.
The diameter of the opening is 9mm, motor axle's 10mm so you will have to widen and deepen the channel a little bit. I use a dremel but a round file will work as well.
Check also the dropout width. It's usually 135mm-140mm.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
More likely you will damage the forks or they will fail, the rear hub or mid drive is the way to go.