Recommend me some nice gloves

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
My partner & I went out today intending to ride for about an hour on our new pedelecs. I lated about 10 minutes as my hands were so perishing cold. It's my birthday so my partner ever desperate to find a present for the man who has everything said she would buy me some cycling gloves. Does anyone have any recommendations. The only pair of gloves that I own are knitted woollen ones. Nice & warm but far to bulky for grabbing handlebars. I recall many moons ago when I road a large motorcycle that I had silk inner gloves inside my gauntlets. Those might still be an option for extra warmth but I'm betting that technology has advanced in the last 45 years so thin, light, warm & well tactile.
Suggestions?

Reactions: artspeck

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Recommended on this forum, undergloves still needed when below 5degc though

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Recommended on this forum, undergloves still needed when below 5degc though

As a year round commuter of over a decade regardless of weather..... Yes, get these. I have had aldi versions but I think these are better quality. Oddly they are not as warm as their retro reflective version. Both come up very small. Order bigger than you think by a fair chunk

Personally I only use undergloves when below zero but thats a personal thing. I'm always the guy in the office who is boiling hot when half the people are keeping their coats on indoors!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Personally, I find undergloves worse than not using them. Air is a very good insulator. If you wear any gloves that are too tight, they cut down the blood supply and your hands get really cold. I guess undergloves work as long as you have over-size outer gloves and the undergloves are nice and loose. Basically, don't think your hand will be warmer if you squeeze in some undergloves.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Wool is no use as you have found out. wind stop fleece works for me even if they get wet, I use those thin one size stretchy gloves underneath when it's well below freezing.
vfr400 is correct, you have to get gloves which aren't to tight.
Dave.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The lobster carnac glove is very warm as K has mentioned you will need at least the next size up as they are as tight as hell to get on. I used the glove guide on PlanetX and bought the L size still to small to get on easily.
For under gloves you need silk ski ones which are light and very warm but not needed with the lobsters.

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
I'm a fair weather leisure cyclist. If it's freezing the bike will stay in the shed. Thanks for the suggestion on the Crab Hand Winter Gloves for warm as they might be they are a bit too extreme & don't look like they would so easy operate gear change & touch screen. My partner suggested they look as they you would wear them while cleaning up a nuclear accident.

I'll take a look at wind stop fleece ones. Any particular brand?

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, Lidl are doing these this weekend.

These are different but look like they do would the business.

Good luck.

signwave

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2016
Hampshire
We are just back from one of our regular visits to France. Popped into Decathlon in Quimper & was able to try on a variety of pairs. Bought these at €13 & very nice & warm they are too without being bulky. https://www.decathlon.fr/p/gants-de-velo-500-mi-saison-noirs/_/R-p-166034?mc=8398149&c=JAUNE
Also available in Decathlon UK:

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Also available in Decathlon UK:
Every sizeable town in France has a Decathlon & even though there has been a big increase in their UK stores in recent years my nearest is 40 miles away. I don't think that I have been to a store in the UK but the French ones are great.
BTW I just checked the receipt & in store these gloves were €9.99 not the €13 price on the website.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I’ve already a good variety of gloves but with reynards I thought I’d give these ago
they should arrive any time and when they do I’ll post my views here