Help! Recommendations for petite senior.

Vivian

Just Joined
May 3, 2020
I am 5’1” or 155 cm tall and 65 years old. Are there any petite, active senior riders out there? I was looking at a lightweight GoCycle but will it adjust to fit me? Other suggestions? Thanks!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Ideally you should try various bikes out but this is a problem because you won't find many (if any) small bikes in dealers. In the end I relied on the experience of the chaps in my local bike shop. If you have a bike at the moment you know how high you have the saddle so you know perhaps the most important part of the geometry. You also have to watch out for how high the crossbar will be as that could be inconvenient to say the least.

I'm 64 and 5' 2" and I ride a Cube Acid which is a 29er with no problem. I must confess I never thought I would end up with a 29er with my little legs but it is fine. I find the 29er is a much better ride than my previous (manual) bike which was a very good quality bike in its day but has 26" wheels. Obviously I have the smallest 15" frame on my Acid. I had to have the end of the seat post sawn off so the seat would go low enough (the down tube has a bend half way down )and I don't think I would be able to fit a suspension seat post for the same reason. Apart from that it has worked out great - I have done 1,400 very happy miles so far.

Some might say the bike looks a bit odd with the handlebars higher than the saddle but, at my age, I've found I prefer the more relaxed riding position. So I recommend you look into what bikes come with very small frames. Of course your budget and cycling needs are important considerations. The Acid Allroad which is what I have now comes with the Gen 4 Bosch CX and the rrp is £1,999. You might be able to get a little discount on this price. Although they aren't sexy I do like having proper mudguards as they offer pretty good protection. Also, although I never ride in the dark, the built in front light is useful when going through trail tunnels. The rear light is of no use whatsoever to me.

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
The Gocycle looks fun. I think I would want the bigger battery as the range quoted will be the absolute maximum you are likely to get and ebikes are such fun that you tend to ride further than on a manual. You don't want to have to worry about having enough power to get home. If you email gocycle they should be able to provide you with the minimum height for the saddle. You can then compare that with your current bike.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
My partner is 5'2", a little older than you and easily rides an extra small Liv Amiti.
Dave.

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
Something like a 15” framed step-through may work for you. The issue may be weight. A lot of the step-through ebike models are built like tanks and weigh north of 20kg, which is a lot!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
a lot of my senior customers cannot step over 12" - that is why all my step through bikes have lower step than all the low step bikes.

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
I am 5’1” or 155 cm tall and 65 years old. Are there any petite, active senior riders out there? I was looking at a lightweight GoCycle but will it adjust to fit me? Other suggestions? Thanks!
How much use are you going to give the bike? The GoCycle is very expensive for what you get, and if it sits about more than it's used, then it seems a shame to spend so much. (Bear in mind that I am a tight old git). The Rambletta does give you a lot for your money. I realise the gear system is different to the GoCycle. There are various smaller bikes from dealers on this site, but of course, you have to like the look of it, whatever it costs.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I was going to ask why Woosh didn't mention the Petite/Santana Petite. I notice it has just disappeared from the website (it was there this morning), so I guess it is out of stock.

As Woosh hints, even if you don't feel the need for a step-though now you may well in the life of the bike. Witness the creaking and groaning as I (73) mount our crossbar tandem, and even more as I dismount.