Recumbent electric trike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
:D
Still, at least he saw you, more than can be said about many drivers. Do you have a flag on the back?

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
Yes a big Swiss one. It was cheap because the European cup is on at the moment (3 francs, about £1:50). I figured the Swiss flag was the best choice as there is less chance that some one will see it and then decide to run me over anyway :)

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
Urban Recumbent E-Trike Commuting

Thought I'd write a quick review of what's its like to ride a electric recumbent trike in traffic as I now have a massive 2 weeks of experience.

Prone

So first thing first The low riding position. I have to admit that, although I had read on the net that the low riding position is not too much of a issue, this was my biggest concern. I'm glad to report that the comment I have read elsewhere proved to be true in that

a) driver do see you though a big flag and a couple of blinkies help.
b) the recumbent riding position does give you a very good all round view

The one situation you do need to be extra cautious about is reversing vehicles.

Speed

As for speed if it weren't for the motor I'd definitely be a lot slower up hills and a little slower on the flats although to some extent that's a case of build the muscles up. Down hill is a ear to ear grin inducing blast.

I love having the motor for commuting as it lets me slow down and be cautious where as before I would have perhaps tried to maintain momentum.

Sweat

My main purpose in getting an ebike was two fold. a) to allow me to cycle everyday which I'm pretty confident it going to help me achieve and b) do that commute with out sweating buckets. So far so good on that front though I find that my back gets a bit sweaty from the seat but that I'm fit for work with a quick wipe off which is far from the case on a ordinary bike. Apologise if this is too much information.

Wet

So what's it like lying down in the rain? No so bad, I only have a rear mudguard so I do get well sprayed but with decent jacket and waterproff trousers I stay reasonably dry even in a downpour. You do get some pooling round the waist but it seems to be ok if you hitch your trouser up high enough.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sweat

My main purpose in getting an ebike was two fold. a) to allow me to cycle everyday which I'm pretty confident it going to help me achieve and b) do that commute with out sweating buckets. So far so good on that front though I find that my back get a bit sweaty from the seat but that I'm fit for work with a quick wipe off which is far from the case on a ordinary bike. Apologise if this is too much information.

Wet

So what's it like lying down in the rain? No so bad, I only have a rear mudguard so I do get well sprayed but with decent jacket and waterproff trousers I stay reasonably dry even in a downpour. You do get some pooling round the waist but it seems to be ok if you hitch your trouser up high enough.
Mesh seating on recumbents seems to be a good idea, both for some sweat relief and a degree of rain disposal. I've no idea on the comfort aspect of that though, never having ridden one long enough to find out. There could be a performance hit too, if the support isn't firm enough.

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
Commute

One more thing I should add is about cutting through stationary traffic. When there is a cycle lane I'm fine as the bike really isn't much broader than a cyclists shoulders. But it is not possible to squeeze through traffic where a upright bike might be able. This to me is perhaps the biggest draw back though for my commute there are perhaps two set of lights where I have to wait in the queue for a maximum of two sets of changes. Would I, if given the the choose, switch back to a 2 wheeled vehicle, for me, no.

kraeuterbutter

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2007
hey..

how fast can you go with that KMX ?

one the one hand you are sitting close to the ground, so less air drag compared to an upright bicycle,
on the other hand the KMX is wider than an normal bike, uses 20" tieres which maybe don´t run as light as 26" or 28" will do..

so: how do speeds compare over all ?
slower, equal or faster than an normal cross/city bike ?

------------

how loud is the motor unit ?
here on this video: YouTube - E-Bike Kit fitted on my road bike
it sounds not that quiet at all

------------

and: just to complete the list:
in Germany this unit is also very famouse and often used by recumbent drivers:
the Lohmeyer-driveunit
Lohmeyer-Leichtfahrzeuge die Spezialisten für Elektroleichtfahrzeuge

and another one i have found in www:
Atouts_all

Sunstar: intelligent bike Nachrüstsatz - ExtraEnergy.org

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
To answer the question. I don't have exact figures as I'm having trouble mounting a speedo but having the motor overcomes the speed going up hill. On the flat obviously I can easily get up to 25kph.

For me ridding a city bike

Downhill faster
Uphill slower
On the flat a little bit slower but to some extent that is caution and I believe building up the required muscles.

Obviously with the assist faster in all three conditions

Last edited:

kraeuterbutter

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2007
hmm..
with my mountianbike i see
23-25km/h average in city-use

27-29km/h average going in the park (for around 30-35min)

and for short times (5-6min) 36-38km/h

so you say: in flat i would be slower with the kmx ?
hmm...

oh: my most loved e-bike video is this here,
its showing a KMX, iam sure you know it anyway:
YouTube - KMX ELECTRIC BIKE HIGH SPEED PARK FLYER

don´t know what motor here is used.. sound not that bad (not that loud)
for sure its more power than would be legal in Austria

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
Speed

Kraueterbutter
my primary concern was not speed but hill climbing and stability with a different set of gears I believe it is easy for the system to reach the speeds you talk about although as you say they are not strictly legal either here in Switzerland or in the EU.

Also it should be noted that my comparison is with out assist as I haven't ridden a non recumbent electric bike.

In doing my research the general suggestion is that with trikes most people are slightly slower on the flat but not everyone.

My suspicion is that when I get used to the trike my speed will pick up and that is when the aerodynamic properties will start to kick in more.

Last night for example the wind was quite gusty and in an unfavourable direction which on a upright I find quite a struggle but with the KMX it had no discernible effect on my ride.

kraeuterbutter

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2007
oh, i see..

the fitter you are, the higher your speed and for that the more you will benefit from lower air-drag

for my speeds: this are also legal in da Schweiz
this are the speeds without motor

with motor i think nearly any kind of speed with nearly any bike can be reached

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
oh, i see..

the fitter you are, the higher your speed and for that the more you will benefit from lower air-drag

for my speeds: this are also legal in da Schweiz
this are the speeds without motor

with motor i think nearly any kind of speed with nearly any bike can be reached
Sigh... I'm so unfit. I'd give it a test run. There great fun and I wouldn't want to think I put you off because of my poor pedalling skills :)

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
The saga continues

I absolutely love triking and having a leccy motor but I seem to be having an endless stream of problems which has blunted my boundless joy to only be joy. I snapped the chain 2 weeks ago and now the chain that powers the crank from the motor is stretched as well. I have a suspicion that the problem is that the main chain is too long and if you drop into the lowest gear in the front and the higher gears at the back the deraillieur folds up into the cassette and stops the drive train from turning which then stretches the chain when it jerks to a halt. It would seem to me to be better to have it that you can't get into high gear at the front with the lowest gears at the back, as with twist grips its too easy to drop the front gear straight from high to the lowest there by stopping the drive train dead. I've contacted the dealer so we shall see what the outcome is. I also wonder if it's possible to fit a strengthened chain.

I think my next upgrade will be to try to fit either a Shimano hub or Rolhoff but that's a way off.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's usually best to avoid the opposite sprocket extremes on any derailleur setup.

Other hub gears you could consider are the SRAM DualDrive hub/derailleur hybrid if you need the extreme gear range like a Rohloff, and the new SRAM i-motion 9 speed, wider range than the Shimano.

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
Hhhhmmm I checked again and what I thought was a stretched chain link was infact maybe the master link. I wonder how sensitive chains are to the weather. It's been pretty warm here over the last week which is when this started happening. The one day when it was a little cooler the chain stayed on. Or is this just crazy talk?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've never noted that, but it's conceivable that with colder weather the internal chain grease stiffens the link rotation, damping the motion, and therefore resists any "flicking" that could throw off the chain.

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
Doh!

Thanks yet again flecc that makes a lot more sence than expanding metal. I have moved the motor a little further down the boom so that the chain is taught. Hopefully that should fix the issue.