Registering with www.CycleCharge.org.uk

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hi,

Thanks to everyone who voted on the sticker design, results so far are on the site.

Can I remind anyone who is interested in the scheme to actually register their interest on site.

Also, if anyone is able to donate towards the set up costs of printing stickers etc, it would be gratefully received.

Initial response to this scheme has been very positive so far, so we just need to concentrate our efforts and it wont be long until we all start to reap the benefits.
We have had a lot of excellent ideas put forward by various members and feel like we are really starting to make very good progress........and as many registered members as possible and some donations are needed.

Lynda :)

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Hi David, thanks! It's entirely non-profit. Not a formal registered charity at this stage, but it will operate on that basis supported by volunteers...we have a tight little team already....any donations and sponsorship goes directly back into the scheme for the benefit of members. Use of charging-points will be free to members and there's no fee to join.

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
A very big thank you to Froael (hihihi) for not only joining as a new member but also for the generous donation. Thanks very much Froael.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Morphix,

I have looked at the web site, very professional, it all sounds amazing.

Mark Loveridge, formally MD of Ultra Motor and BEBA secretary will be calling you to see how we can help and discuss the use of the BEBA logo.

We all at BEBA look forward to being as much help to this superb scheme as possible.

Again well done, a great initiative, now how do I join?! :D

Best regards

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I have just registered but cannot find out where to log on, I am probably being a bit thick, so help would be appreciated.

I would also like to make a donation but have a thing about using PayPal, is there another way I can pay you?

Finally I see BEBA is a friend which is great, if Wisper wanted to become a friend too how would we go about it?

All the best

David

PS Sorry Lynda about the Linda earlier!!

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I have just registered but cannot find out where to log on, I am probably being a bit thick, so help would be appreciated.

I would also like to make a donation but have a thing about using PayPal, is there another way I can pay you?

Finally I see BEBA is a friend which is great, if Wisper wanted to become a friend too how would we go about it?

All the best

David

Dont worry David.........I answer to most derivatives :)

Thanks everyone for your responses, donations and brilliant comments so far.....the website is down to the very hard work of Paul who has gone over and beyond the call of duty.
Its great to get some of the industry on board...this scheme can only help us all.

Once we get the stickers printed it will then be down to all members to try to get charging points on board, the more the better for everyone.

I certainly feel energised today and can see that, although it will be a long term project, there IS light at the end of the tunnel.

Any questions about payment methods /friends etc can be directed through the mail address on the site I'm sure Paul will be more than happy to point anyone in the right direction :).......

Lynda :)

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk

All the best

David

Thanks David for your support and positive comments about the site its really appreciated. It would be great to have BEBA and Wisper behind the scheme as it benefits the industry as well bike owners.

The project is still in its early days so there's a lot of work still to be done, but we're getting there! There is now a login form on the side menu on every page so you can login easier.

I note your comments about PayPal.. the reason we opted for PayPal was because it's a quick way to take donations without cost and is widely accepted.. I think you can pay PayPal donation invoices without actually registering/opening an account.. but if you really don't want to use it, I can look into some alternative donation options and report back..

The plan was to have the "Friends" as non-commercial links to useful sites related to the industry.. and to have sponsors logos featured prominently on every page with a link to their websites (much like this site does, but along the footer instead of the header). And also a list of individual sponsors on the Sponsors page with a blurb about what each sponsor offers/sells (with maybe latest offers etc), which can be updated by the sponsors themselves.

We are keen to work with the industry...and open to ideas and input from manufacturers and retailers on how the site can help support business in future when hopefully the level of visitors and members grows.

The project itself will remain strictly non-commercial, taking only a supporting role to businesses.

Paul

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think you can pay PayPal donation invoices without actually registering/opening an account.. but if you really don't want to use it, I can look into some alternative donation options and report back..

Paul
I'm ready with a donation if you can report another method Paul. Like David, I do not want to have even the slightest association with, or give any form of support for Pay Pal.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Perhaps we can have a list of possibilities? What options do other sites have to offer? I'd also like to know the pros and cons of using the various services ...

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Pay Pal is very easy to implement, but expensive to use.
A donation of £25 incurs a fee of £1.05 which is very high.
Other payment options are burdensome to implement but much less expensive to use.

Sage Pay for instance costs a tiny percentage per transaction.

I would be happy to offer a number of donation options through our payment system, but can see the self-interest placards being waved at me.

It's very difficult to reassure people, but I think Pay Pal, whilst expensive, is the most appropriate way for this organisation to proceed at this stage. Donors should not fear Pay Pal any more than any other on-line payment system.

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Pay Pal is very easy to implement, but expensive to use.
A donation of £25 incurs a fee of £1.05 which is very high.
Other payment options are burdensome to implement but much less expensive to use.

Sage Pay for instance costs a tiny percentage per transaction.

I would be happy to offer a number of donation options through our payment system, but can see the self-interest placards being waved at me.

It's very difficult to reassure people, but I think Pay Pal, whilst expensive, is the most appropriate way for this organisation to proceed at this stage. Donors should not fear Pay Pal any more than any other on-line payment system.
Thanks very much Bob. We opted for a personal PayPal account because it allows the sender of donations to pick up the fee with an option (tick box) when you send funds. A bit cheeky I know, but it's only a small fee. PayPal also allows us to side-step the whole issue of forming a legal company, business bank account and all the hassles involved which we wish to avoid at this stage...PayPal is affectively a bank account, we can use it to pay suppliers or move funds easily to volunteers who pay costs out of pocket on behalf of CycleCharge.

I do appreciate though that PayPal is a turn-off to some people (especially businesses) so we'll definitely look at the other options on offer to run alongside, maybe for business sponsorship donations.

Last edited:

hihihi

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Isle Of Wight
The way I understand it, you can avoid Paypal charges by chosing the "Gift" option (in the "Send Money" window click on the "Personal" tab [before you "Continue"] to reveal 4 more payment options: "Gift" is the first/default).
This is how I made my donation.

Please note, if you use this "Gift" option to, for example, buy something, then the normal Paypal payment protection will not apply.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
The way I understand it, you can avoid Paypal charges by chosing the "Gift" option (in the "Send Money" window click on the "Personal" tab [before you "Continue"] to reveal 4 more payment options: "Gift" is the first/default).

Please note, if you use this "Gift" option to, for example, buy something, then the normal Paypal payment protection will not apply.
Thanks very much for that info Froael, I will add it onto the website!

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk

Do you know if the same applies to the business PayPal account type?