Reliable bikes for couple in mid 60s, realistic range of 40+ miles

Chinapig

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 27, 2016
Hi there

My wife and I are both looking for an e-bike. They don't have to be the same, or even from the same supplier, although the latter would seem to be a potential advantage from the cost point of view.

We've looked at - and tried - a few bikes already but are still open to ideas. Our intended use is mainly recreational/fitness, and mostly on tarmac, although it would be good to know the bikes could handle the occasional bridleway or forest trail. We live near the Sussex coast, so those frequently strong westerly winds are a consideration. Our desired travel radius is about 20 miles or so, and we're therefore looking for bikes that could comfortably cover 40 to 50 miles on a single charge, and preferably with a bit of margin to spare.

My wife's height is 5' 3", and she's pretty fit but does have a dodgy back, which puts comfort and an easily adjustable riding position high on her priority list. Getting a sufficiently small frame size (probaly 46cm) as well as addressing her comfort requirements has proved a bit of a challenge so far, and her favourite to date is a Gazelle model - she likes the sit-up-straight style, and swept-back bars. We've tried a couple of Kalkhoffs, which I liked - but my wife couldn't find a frame size that suited her, and which also offered seat-post supension. Also tried a couple of QWICs - very nice, but again difficult to get the frame size in the spec she fancied. I suspect she'll go for the Gazelle - an Orange C8 HM - but any other ideas welcome!

For my part, I couldn't get on with Gazelle, but have liked a Raleigh Motus, enjoyed trying the Kalkhoff Integrale 8, and liked the QWIC P-RD9s, but the latter's rack-mounted battery and rear-hub motor made it quite rear-end heavy, although it did ride well. Still on my own shortlist to try are some of the KTM models, and the Haibike sDuro/xDuro Trekking RC/RX models, as I suspect they may offer a neater fit for what I think I'm after (!), and I gather they offer small frame sizes, so my wife may even like one too!

We don't mind paying for quality bikes, as long as it's worth the outlay for reliabilty and longevity, but would prefer a well-established and proven brand. I bought a Swizzbee through my work some years back - a brilliant machine, but the company vanished from the market rather quickly! I still have the bike and it rides well, but doesn't offer enough range, and I'm well aware it's illegal... I would prefer to go with legal.

Any suggestions welcome - thanks!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Your wife likes the Gazelle, so I can't see the point of looking any further for her - you won't find a better made and finished bicycle.

One example, Gazelle fit a chain tensioner for the hub gear.

Not strictly needed, you could tension the chain with sliding dropouts, but that's a poorer - and cheaper - solution because you cannot move the wheel very far because of the mudguards.

Makes sense for you to have a bike with the same battery because you might want to strike out on your own for longer rides.

You've already been through the card, so may be realising most Bosch powered bikes are of similar decent quality.

The styles vary a bit, but a KTM or Raleigh is no better or worse than a Haibike, Cube, Scott, etc.

Forty plus miles means you will need the bigger 500wh battery, unless you don't mind buying and carrying a spare each.

In common with push bikes, there are many models to choose from, but obtaining your chosen model and size may not be so easy.

It's already March, with that in mind you need to get the bikes ordered to get them in time for the better weather.

Most dealers will be honest with you, but be wary of placing an order with a less than certain delivery date.

Delays of two or three months are not uncommon, which means you could find yourself in May or June with no sign of a bike.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Chinapig, I might be able to help with one of the bike choices.

I bought this bike last year for my wife, and she hasn't even sat on it! :(

I've ridden it for approx. 200 miles, at which point the motor somehow lost it's software. A brand new motor is currently on it's way for the bike, and then I shall be selling it in order to buy a 20" wheeled bike for my wife.

The frame size is a 46cm, has all of your requirements including the suspension seat post, adjustable steerer stem, and apart from one scratch to a sticker on the fork leg, still looks and rides as new.

I'm based in Crowborough, so not too far away, and want £950.00 for the bike. You are both more than welcome to come and try it out. Just send me a PM if you wish to know more.

One point of note though.
As Rob has said, depending upon riding terrain, you might well be pushing the battery mileage range that you require, so might need to think about getting a second battery.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Good offer from Eddie.

The guy is as honest as they come, and he's also a highly skilled bike mechanic, particularly on the Bosch system.

Whatever you buy, you could do worse than ask him to look after your bikes.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
This seems a bargain CP, and you'd be helping out a fellow forum member...
Chinapig, I might be able to help with one of the bike choices.

I bought this bike last year for my wife, and she hasn't even sat on it! :(

I've ridden it for approx. 200 miles, at which point the motor somehow lost it's software. A brand new motor is currently on it's way for the bike, and then I shall be selling it in order to buy a 20" wheeled bike for my wife.

The frame size is a 46cm, has all of your requirements including the suspension seat post, adjustable steerer stem, and apart from one scratch to a sticker on the fork leg, still looks and rides as new.

I'm based in Crowborough, so not too far away, and want £950.00 for the bike. You are both more than welcome to come and try it out. Just send me a PM if you wish to know more.

One point of note though.
As Rob has said, depending upon riding terrain, you might well be pushing the battery mileage range that you require, so might need to think about getting a second battery.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Chinapig

Feb 27, 2016
Hi folks

Many thanks indeed for your input and various suggestions - all much appreciated and duly noted.

trex: yup, the Woosh Petite could be a contender - we'll check it out. Haven't been to Southend for years, would be a nostalgic trip!

RobF: my wife may well indeed just go for the Gazelle - you're quite right, if she's happy with that, why go on searching. And thanks for your comments re the various Bosch-driven bikes, and a 500Wh battery. Take your point about pre-summer ordering!

EddiePJ: many thanks re your wife's small-frame bike. It does indeed look an interesting option, and a good price. Under discussion at this end, and will PM you if my wife would like to come & see it.

JuicyBike: thanks for your suggestion of Summit Bikes, will try to visit them soon.

Thanks sgain folks - all very good food for thought.

Cheers
China

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
There is a money no object option - his and hers Riese and Muller Delite tourers.

About ten grand for a pair, but you won't get better specced and made ebikes.

The full suspension is tuned for touring, not mountain biking, which adds comfort and also makes the bike hold the road or trail a treat.

A Delite is the most stable bicycle I've ever been on at 30mph.

http://en.r-m.de/bike/delite-hybrid-rohloff/

Chinapig

Feb 27, 2016
Hmm... hadn't considered an R&M, thanks for the thought.

That would probably be pushing our budget a wee bit far though, but appreciate the logic!

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
China,interesting name...where did you get that from? A trip to the London Electric Bike Company may be useful....they have the last 2 ,of this batch,Kudos Tempo......they have a Raleigh Motus and most of the KTM range....you may wish to compare with the Kudos Rapide or Sonata.
The shop is in Hampton Wick,Surrey next door to Hampton Court Palace,there is a nice 4 km bike ride through Bushy Park.
Good luck with your bike search.
KudosDave

Chinapig

Feb 27, 2016
@KudosDave: Chinapig? Ah, a track by a fave band of mine - Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band. It's also what I probably have to break open, to access the saved pennies inside!

Thanks for your suggestion of LEBC. A worthy idea for a good day out. Have tried a few more bikes recently, including some Scott & Haibike options. A Scott "roadised" e-MTB, with a Bosch CX motor & 500Wh battery, is my current favourite starting point - seems to offer a good balance of comfort, fit, flexibility and range. KTM options still to try... Thanks again for your feedback.

Chinapig

Feb 27, 2016
Thanks EddiePJ - appreciate you letting me know. My wife's still favouring the upright Dutch style of bike, but family stuff got in the way of us taking it any further just yet. Will be back on track soon...