RELIABLE courier required

12xu22

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
I am still waiting to receive my Woosh Zephyr: Paisley Freight had 2 stabs at collection but ran out of time on both occasions, the same thing happened with a company called ATL Express (I think the "Express" is ironic).

Can anyone recommend a good courier service between Kent and Yorkshire?

C

Cyclezee

For bikes, I have found Paisley Freight reliable and they in turn use TNT.

For smaller items I use Parcel Monkey who in turn use City Link, for large items such as bikes they use Nightfreight, but they are quite expensive.

I don't know who else to recommend.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sticks and stones may break my bone, but - - - - -
When hanging onto the back of a moving hackney carriage in the 1910s, my mother use to chant a variation of this when the driver lashed over the back of the hackney carriage with his whip to dislodge her and the other kids. My generation just used to hang onto the back of lorries or get towed by them when on our bikes. Kids today miss so much fun!

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Unfortunately so many of the cheaper couriers just dont want to handle these ebikes,City Link are cheap but not good,damage often....Interlink are ok,about £20 to move a big wheeled bike....The best are TNT but very expensive.
One problem that we dont yet have a solution is shipping ebikes abroad. The problem is that all the well known couriers have road cargo and air cargo. Lithium batteries,even on a bike,have to have special packaging and labelling requirements. Even if we specify 'Lithium batteries,only road ship' on the outside of the bike,sometimes the courier has spare space in the air so will change to airshipment,ignoring the sticker. The CAA are really hot on this now,since that American Airlines plane had a hole blown in the side by batteries exploding(lead acid) and the fines for incorrect labelling can be horrendous (euro 20,000),so be careful about shipping ebikes abroad.
KudosDave

C

Cyclezee

When hanging onto the back of a moving hackney carriage in the 1910s, my mother use to chant a variation of this when the driver lashed over the back of the hackney carriage with his whip to dislodge her and the other kids. My generation just used to hang onto the back of lorries or get towed by them when on our bikes. Kids today miss so much fun!
I guess back then lorries were not as fast as they are today.
I know father used to hang on to the back or lorries until the day he came a cropper.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I guess back then lorries were not as fast as they are today.
I know father used to hang on to the back or lorries until the day he came a cropper.
That's right , trundling along at around 20 mph or less in local streets when delivering, and sometimes not much above 30 mph on main roads. Depended on the load though, the Bedfords were fast when empty. Sentinel and Foden steam lorries were even slower of course.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
My uncle's flatbed coal lorry was a great thing. 5 or 10mph we would hang off the back with our feet skipping off the tarmac. I speet on your 'Ealth and Seftey.

Gdread

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
Staffordshire
Does anyone remember 'bus jumping'?

The joys of hanging onto the platform of a route master and getting booted off by the bus conductor!

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I am still waiting to receive my Woosh Zephyr: Paisley Freight had 2 stabs at collection but ran out of time on both occasions, the same thing happened with a company called ATL Express (I think the "Express" is ironic).

As has been suggested, CityLink and NightFreight are reliable carriers for bikes, I've used CityLink before for bikes. ParcelForce 48 will take bikes too I think, but I think they can be a bit rough. If the bike is big and bulky though your only option might be NightFreight. Can book via ParcelMonkey or Interparcel. One thing to remember though is no box = no insurance cover (even if you paid for insurance). CityLink will let you off, but only if the frame etc is covered in cardboard.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Used to regularly get a rollicking from bus conductors, for keeping the bike's front wheel inches from the platform:

Damn near ended up On the platform a time or two.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Milk floats were a good trainer for the very young
No good in outer London in my case, our Express Dairies milk float was horse drawn, often followed by a keen gardener with a bucket and shovel. I did feed the horse sometimes though.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Does anyone remember 'bus jumping'?

The joys of hanging onto the platform of a route master and getting booted off by the bus conductor!
Yes, last time I did it was when I was 13, back in....oh, never mind. I fell off the bus as it went round a corner and sprained my ankle!
Hatti, Woosh Bikes

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

12xu22, I guess this was purchased second hand as we only use Citylink and Interlink Express?
Citylink are OK most of the time (except Christmas, at least two of our customers had to wait in for 2 days) although I don't think they serve non trade customers. For a better service, for which we charge £12, we use Interlink. The latter almost always get everything there the next day and will email/text you with the one hour delivery slot they are going to deliver in so you don't have to wait in all day. I think non trade account holders can go online with Interlink Direct, may be useful to know.
I agree with Kudosdave - shipping abroad really is expensive and problematic. We have more and more customers in France and I just had a quote to ship two bikes out to Carcassonne (way down south admittedly) for close on £300! Does anyone know one of those 'man with a van to France' type services (I know there are several to Spain) but careful and reliable?
Otherwise I shall have to ask Funkylyn if I can buy space in her motorhome when she's next on a trundle far south!

Hatti, Woosh Bikes

C

Cyclezee

Last week a lady contacted me asking how much it would cost to ship an eZee Sprint to Santiago, Chile:eek:

I pointed her in the direction of the eZee factory in Shanghai to see if they could help.

The next day, I got an email from Wai Won Ching, the boss of eZee, on an entirely different subject, he ended the email with greetings from guess where.....................Santiago, Chile:eek:

How's that for coincidence:confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wai Won really does get about, I doubt there's many areas he hasn't visited now! Do you know if his son Ken is still in the company, I haven't seen or heard of him since he was the technical manager long ago.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Last week a lady contacted me asking how much it would cost to ship an eZee Sprint to Santiago, Chile:eek:

I pointed her in the direction of the eZee factory in Shanghai to see if they could help.

The next day, I got an email from Wai Won Ching, the boss of eZee, on an entirely different subject, he ended the email with greetings from guess where.....................Santiago, Chile:eek:

How's that for coincidence:confused:
Pity he didn't ride his bike there, he could have left it with her.