Remember I am UK based so NO US makes or outlets please

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Nothing is boring except in the view of boring people. Everything is interesting if you're interested in it.

Riding on the road is much more fun than boring trails. You see more things, have to deal with traffic, and you can do spotting and reporting of people on their phones in their vehicles, like CyclingMikey does. His cycling looks a lot more interesting and fun than what Saracen showed. Also, when riding on the road, you don't need stupid inefficient knobbly tyres.

AAARRRGGHHHH! Drivers are always on their damned phones! It's a miracle more cyclists don't end up as street pizza. I'd hope my very bright lights will help avoid my body involuntarily imitating smeared Italian food all over the road.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
AAARRRGGHHHH! Drivers are always on their damned phones! It's a miracle more cyclists don't end up as street pizza. I'd hope my very bright lights will help avoid my body involuntarily imitating smeared Italian food all over the road.
You can stop drivers from using their phones. You have everything you need to do it. Learn from the master. As you can see, it can even be done with a crank-drive bike. Though not optimal, he still scores up to 10 per hour:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Why? Doesn't it get you covered in mud? You'd have to change before you went into the shops.
Yes, sometimes I do get a bit muddy. Luckily for me I have a washing machine and a shower, and a hose to wash my bike. I don't combine a muddy bike ride with a trip to the shops, don't think I'd fit a weeks groceries in the pannier bag. And shops are boring, unlike muddy bike rides

Reactions: Az.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I WOULD consider a seat post BUT, there isn't enough space to fit it either bikeView attachment 55458View attachment 55459

I rarely ignore advice
You would have to budget around 4 inches for seat post suspension mechanism (4 inches from clamp to saddle).
Keep in mind saddle will go down a bit while you sit on it. You can rise your saddle and check if you are comfortable with 4 inch. On some pictures of your bikes which you keep on posting repeatedly in many threads it looks like saddle is higher than 4 inch.

Attachments

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Many moons ago, as a teenage motorcyclist, I learned that manhole covers were best avoided - wet or dry - and especially on corners. Ever since I have kept my eyes open and learned where the covers on regular routes are, and take an approprite line.
No tyre is going to reliably grip a wet manhole on a corner. They are knobbly, giving less grip surface area, and tend to have poor surface/potholes around them. Know your road and, where you don't, ride defensively.
I use only Marathon plus's. Hence I haven't contributed to the 'how do you tackle punctures' thread.

Reactions: sjpt

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Many moons ago, as a teenage motorcyclist, I learned that manhole covers were best avoided - wet or dry - and especially on corners. Ever since I have kept my eyes open and learned where the covers on regular routes are, and take an approprite line.
No tyre is going to reliably grip a wet manhole on a corner. They are knobbly, giving less grip surface area, and tend to have poor surface/potholes around them. Know your road and, where you don't, ride defensively.
I use only Marathon plus's. Hence I haven't contributed to the 'how do you tackle punctures' thread.

WHY! in this day and age can no one do a coating that makes covers non slip

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I only use MP as well, but one weakness is that it's not very good on sideways slip; probably worse than most on manhole covers. (I avoid those too when I can unless I'm going absolutely straight.)

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
WHY! in this day and age can no one do a coating that makes covers non slip
Plasma coated diamond textured as tarmac? I'm sure it's possible, but I don't think any suitable coating which stays on long enough will be cheap.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Well if this paint is hard wearing surely they can do something

Related Articles

Advertisers