Remember the NY cyclist who got the ticket?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's a strange place. New York State is one of two US states which have completely banned e-bikes, but New York is the home of one of the largest and most successful e-bike dealers in the USA, Nycewheels! They also have e-biking commuters who never have a problem with that law.

On the other hand, I understand the other banning state, Illinois, is definitely a no-go zone for e-bikes, and they won't even allow them to be registered as motor vehicles either.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
It's a strange place. New York State is one of two US states which have completely banned e-bikes, but New York is the home of one of the largest and most successful e-bike dealers in the USA, Nycewheels! They also have e-biking commuters who never have a problem with that law.

On the other hand, I understand the other banning state, Illinois, is definitely a no-go zone for e-bikes, and they won't even allow them to be registered as motor vehicles either.
How weird is that !
One of the things I have always found strange about the USA is that different states can have different laws......can you imagine if Cambridge banned e-bikes for example ?????

Lynda

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Indeed, and State law often overrules federal law as it does with e-bikes. Federal law says 700 watts and 20 mph assist limit, but the States vary widely from 400 watts to 1500 watts limit and speeds up to 30 mph in the odd case.