Removing a gear from the clutch assembly without damage???

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Could someone guide me through the process, and advise on what special tools I need, to remove a gear cog from the clutch assembly please.

DSC00086.jpg

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
You need a pair of circlip pliers . These come in two types. You need the type where squeezing the handles together causes the points to move apart. Wear eye protection. Do not work in a cluttered area, or you will loose the clips. Use the pliers to open the clip just far enough to allow it to come off the end of the shaft. If you open the clip too far it will snap . Do the job inside a large transparent plastic bag. After removing the clip, the gear will just pull off the shaft.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Circlip pliers are the correct method really.
Stops the clips flinging everywhere. You could do it with a flat blade screw driver. But there's a good chance you will loose the circlip.

Doing it in a bag as neptune's said is really good advise.

The amount of times i've had circlips fly past me only to be lose in another dimension never to be found is untrue.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
You need a pair of circlip pliers . These come in two types. You need the type where squeezing the handles together causes the points to move apart. Wear eye protection. Do not work in a cluttered area, or you will loose the clips. Use the pliers to open the clip just far enough to allow it to come off the end of the shaft. If you open the clip too far it will snap . Do the job inside a large transparent plastic bag. After removing the clip, the gear will just pull off the shaft.
Thank you for everyone's replies.
I've already got a pair of circlip pliers on order, as I remember needing one when I tried to remove the cog from my Cyclamatic clutch mechanism (picture)

Unfortunately, the cog didn't just pull off,and I'm certainly no weakling.
In the end, no amount of coaxing allowed it to come off cleanly, and I ended up destroying the bearing housing, prising it off with a screwdriver. Appeared to be made of soft cheese :eek:

Just wondered if there is such a tool available, suitable to help pull small cogs off.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
You'd almost need to make one like a crank puller or a large chain splitter and modify it.
All of which would cost more than the gear anyway.

Probably just seized on there. The old metal to metal scenario.