Removing old gear cable from ez shifter ?

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
Shimano ST-EF28-7T ez shift cable remove and fitting

Can you help, i need to renew gear cable but not sure how i remove old one from shifter, does the top cap have to be removed or do i undo screws, what i dont want to to do is force anything thanks.

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
old gear cable from ez shifter ?

Thank you very much for info. hopefully this should sort things out, cheers

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Couple of little tips.

If you can, run a little solder into the end of the cable to prevent fraying, much better than those crimp on cable ends.

Push a blob of grease through each section of outer with the cable. This is to inhibit corrosion more than to lubricate.

Don't re-use old cable outer, the anti-friction coating will be worn. Most bike shops can cut you a length from a reel for a couple of quid.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
different, but related question

I've decided to remove the front gears (shimano tourney) from my bike as they were pretty useless and taking up valuable handlebar and cabling space...

No problem removing the gear shift and cable, but the derailleur cage doesn't seem to come off..it looks riveted (silly design) and I suspect the only way to remove it is either by taking a hacksaw to it or by breaking the chain. Don't fancy either to be honest!

I've just left the cage on for moment but wondered if anyone had any pointers on removing it. I don't suppose it matters leaving it on really though.