Replacement battery for old Powabyke

Subspace

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 2, 2016
Herts
I have a Powabyke 24 Speed Commuter. It came with the Li-Ion battery upgrade but the battery is basically worn out and needs replacing. I'd like to keep it on the road but given the age I don't want to spend too much on it. The simplest option would be to buy SLA batteries as I have both types of charger for it and I can probably get 3 cyclic batteries for around £100 or so. Obviously this would make the bike a lot heavier. I saw this on eBay and I thought it might be a better option, as its about the same price. Has anyone had any experience with this seller? What are the chances that these are genuine Panasonic cells? Can I use my existing Powabyke Li-Ion battery charger with it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-bike-Battery-8700mAh-8-7Ah-36V-30x-Panasonic-NCR18650PF-10S3P-/263064078192?hash=item3d3fd74770:g:-RAAAOSwfRdZLmPl

D

Deleted member 4366

There's no BMS in that battery, so you'd need to install your own. They only cost about £15. You need to be able to solder, and you need a basic understanding about how to wire up a lithium battery.

Whatever battery you get, it needs to be able to supply a real 20A continuous.

That bike will be very heavy with lead batteries. It's worth it to pay more for lithium.

Subspace

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 2, 2016
Herts
Thanks I didn't notice that it was missing the BMS, of course the picture does not show the connections to the battery. The difficulty with the Li-Ion option is finding a reputable supplier in the UK who will sell me just a battery.

D

Deleted member 4366

BGA Reworking will sort it for you. the cost would be somewhere between £200 and £300 depending on what cells you choose and how much capacity you want.