Replacement charger needed - quickly!!

Alan_F

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 14, 2009
Darton Nr Barnsley
Hi All

Have been happily using my Trek City EBike from 2000 cycles since 2009 and the LiFePo4 battery is still going strong - my regular 28 mile round trip still being achieved with battery power to spare!

However I need HELP - getting ready for my next trip away in the caravan I discovered that I have managed to lose my charger!! Yes I know it sounds impossible but I have managed it. It may yet turn up at the back of the garage or in the freezer but I need a replacement before I go away next Wednesday!!

Any suggestions of what I can buy to charge my 36v 9ah LiFePo4 battery and where I can order one from quickly!!! I have no idea how to translate battery size into charger specification so any form of idiot guide would be appreciated.

Thanks

Alan

C

Cyclezee

Hi Alan,

This may be a stupid question, but do you know the make, model number, type of connector for the missing charger?

C

Cyclezee

OK Alan,

At least we have established it has a single pole and 36v.

What is the make and model of your LiFePO4 battery?

Alan_F

Sep 14, 2009
Darton Nr Barnsley
The only name on the casing is 'Velec' nothing that would indicate a model number. It is a long aluminium case that slides behind the seat post if that is any help!

Alan

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
...this may be a daft answer...but why not contact the dealer ?
.....tell 'im what you've told us.

Alan_F

Sep 14, 2009
Darton Nr Barnsley
Thanks Mike63 but they stopped importing bikes the year after I bought mine, shame as they had a good product and looked after customers. I do still have Stevens contact details Nr Lincoln but I thought a call one year + out of warranty would not be such a good idea. However if a repalcement is difficult to find without the make model etc then I will try and contct him.
Thanks

Alan_F

Sep 14, 2009
Darton Nr Barnsley
Yes it was 720 cycles and the improved Rush Trek model. Will ring Kudos in the morning to see if they have anything suitable. Thanks for your efforts.
Alan

Alan_F

Sep 14, 2009
Darton Nr Barnsley
Hi John

Have just found the following picture taken to add to my record of all caravan items in case of a claim - forgot I had taken it!! Says that it is a Li-Ion charger model SHC - 8100LC and it looks as if it is a 2A rating. Not sure if this will help in the search but at least I have some more accurate information.

Alan

Bike battery charger 2009 001.jpg

C

Cyclezee

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Also LiFePO4 has a different voltage from standard Li-ion batteries.

Kudos are your best bet as Frank suggests above, the right charger type of the right capability and very reasonable prices too. Some e-bike chargers are as much as £125, Kudos a fraction of that.

You'll have to fit the right plug of course, do you know the type?

Last edited:

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Here is a pic of my Kudos tourer battery charger.
Mine also says Li-ion charger but it says 42v output yours says 36v.

IMAG0199.jpg

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
42 volts is correct for the charge voltage, the Trek 36 volts being the nominal battery voltage. It's actually over 40 volts fully charged.

From your photo Jim, it looks as though the connector may be correct for the Trek battery too.

Alan_F

Sep 14, 2009
Darton Nr Barnsley
Thanks for the help everyone - the image of the Kudos certainly looks OK, thanks Jimod and thank you Flecc for the confirmation of the voltage needs. Solution found will order asap.
Alan