Replacement Freego battery

rolyk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 9, 2017
Bristol
My wife has just bought a Freego Wren. Its a 2006 model with a dead battery which we knew about prior to buying and it was reflected in the price. I've spent the last few hours exploring and am undecided whether to get it re-celled or to buy a replacement. For the new option I've homed in on the Green Cell 14.8 amp in an aluminium case. However the baseplate will need to be changed as the bottom 10mm or so of the existing case is slightly smaller where it recesses into the base plate. Also the Green Cell battery has four connections (two +ve and two -ve). Does this matter, as the existing battery only has two connections? If I go for the re-cell I'll go with the recommendations I found elsewhere on a forum (offhand, can't remember the name of the company).

I would appreciate any comments, particularly on The Green Cell replacement as this would be the quickest way to get my wife on the road!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Battery recell Insat Intl/BGA Reworking.
The two VE+/- are just separate feeds for charge and discharge if left on the bike all the time, the battery's receiver would has a charge point as well as the battery.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I recently got a quote from Insat for my Freego 16ah battery to be recelled. £285 including collection and return, Said about 7 10 days. I thought that was very good value. May be worth giving him a call

rolyk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 9, 2017
Bristol
Sent it to Insat BGA Reworking last Wednesday and it's being returned tomorrow, so an overall 4 working day turnaround. Very impressed with their service and they kept in touch and gave me plenty of progress reports. I went for the 16ah option at £285 and also opted for a new BMS for an additional £25. This will increase the charge to the full 16ah over the original BMS which will only charge to 14ah. Apparently the original BMS in the FreeGo is slightly de-rated to take account of below par cells. This is not to suggest that FreeGo use them as I'm sure that they don't.

Thanks to Nealh and gray198 for their input.