Replacing Second Cars with Electric Bikes

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
Its sound thinking to replace scarcely-used second cars with electric bikes, particularly for commuting. But how many of you guys who have replaced cars with e-bikes haven't experienced problems? Need to carry heavy payloads, long distances and lots of people? Do you think its a boundary to more acceptance?

I was watching a TED Talk today on collaborative consumption, and Zip Car was mentioned. Zip Car is a simple car-sharing/ownership scheme, designed for replacing cars and taking taxis. Sure, there are some flaws, but what do you think?

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I've got to say that I haven't experienced any problems and I replaced my second car nearly 3 years ago. I can fit a substantial amount of shopping in my two panniers and rucksack, much more than I would have thought possible.

If anything I've started using the bike more for shopping even when I've got the car available to me. I never really used the second car to transport people so it wasn't something I missed.

The only problem I've found is when I get a problem with the bike e.g. cable snapping, puncture, etc, but that was solved by buying a second cheap electric bike.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
I havent had a car for over three years. I do have a motorbike, but the carrying capacity of that is no more thaan an electric bike, as the panniers are no bigger, also its not rated for any more weight than a bike rack, and it cant take a trailer or front panniers.

When i absolutely need the carrying capacity of a car, friends and family all have cars and are willing to help out occasionally. And i do mean very occasionally. Living fairly close to a big city helps though, if i lived in a rural area i might want a car more.

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
And with car-sharing schemes all being based in cities it seems less useful?

Did you sell your second cars?

Trex 850

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Sold my Skoda Fabia in Nov 10,,, purchased my ebike 2wks ago and have used it everyday so far(strong winds and rain included :eek: ), so far all going well plus really didn't make sense what with the missus and my daughter having a car each. Best of both worlds really..

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
My wife and I still have our cars and at times( distance or load) they have their place but apart from the E bikes providing a reasonable amount of exercise at the level that we can handle at our age they have become the form of transport that we choose for going to and from adjacent villages for things like PO or Doctors. Those E bike journeys are influenced now days by the cost of fuel and so if they lead to a greener life then thats an offshoot.
One of the problems I`ve come across in and around our part of the country is the lack of suitable places to park the bikes and those that there are are tucked away where would be thieves have a better chance.

overthehill

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2010
Alternative uses

I use my bikes purely for health and leisure activity and my wife and I both have cars which are used for work and shopping or traveling longer distances on roads where cycling is unsuitable
Alex

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
I use my bikes purely for health and leisure activity and my wife and I both have cars which are used for work and shopping or traveling longer distances on roads where cycling is unsuitable
Alex
Would you commute on it if you could? Is your typical commute a "heroic" distance to cycle?

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Whats considered a heroic cycle commute?
I'm selling my car and swapping for ebike and public transport. I.ve recently moved to the city center in birmingham. How ever work in solihull so looking to on the dryer days take the bike to work which is 9 mile each way.

The wife has a peugeot 107 thats now 3 years old and cheap as chips to run. However space is limited. Even my punto managed to get alot in. But most people we know drive or can get about and we have no kids so its really about having a mode of transport that suits you life and means.

If i had a family or lived further from work i wouldn't ever consider an electric bike because its not practical.

OTH

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2010
....Those E bike journeys are influenced now days by the cost of fuel .......
Isn't the saving largely offset by the cost of replacement batteries?

I find it annoying that the electric bike industry promotes its products as cheap to run. Even the most reputable dealers do this.

" ......... only cost around 5 to 10p worth of electricity to fully recharge a flat battery!"

"Ride 10 miles on 1p of power"

This may be true but is very deceptive.

And I wonder how long the motors last?

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
I agree OTH - I think 10-20p per mile is more realistic, depending on mileage and how long the bike lasts. Mind you, I kept scrupulous records of expenses for a car I had between 2004 and 2008 and the cost (admittedly low mileage and serious depreciation) came to 70p per mile overall.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
We're both pensioners and replaced one car and a motor bike with two Juicy Bikes last year. We've kept the 15 years old Skoda Felicia estate for long trips, holidays in France, that sort of thing. We also have the use of an excellent (for the moment) bus service.
The sale of the motor bike & car (an even older Skoda) financed the purchase of the bikes and a bit left over for new batteries when needed. Our major monthly trips to the supermarket are now conducted on-line. The daily trips for fresh veg & fruit and the Guardian are undertaken by 'bus or bike according to weather.
I miss the motor bike but haven't missed the 'loss' of one car. Today the sun is shining and the gales have blown out - guess what we're doing next?
May the electric wind be ever at your back ....

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Working on the figures for my Aurora and 14p per Kw electricity, a full charge cycle costs me 5p, for the 20 mile range on high power (worst case scenario range, i can get considerably more on low or medium)

The battery costs £350, and based on a 2 year and 500 useful cycle life (i can charge 2x a day so can accept 10 miles per cycle towards the end of it's life) it costs me 70p per battery cycle.

The rest of the costs are the same as bicycle running costs, so i am not even counting them, as i'd be cycling anyway, and wear and tear parts cost is very low for me as i mechanic all my own bikes.

Annually i can expect to do 5000 miles and pay £12.50 for "fuel" and £175 for half a battery. I couldnt tax my last car for £187.50, let alone insure it, fuel it up and go anywhere. Also, up-front costs such as batteries are much easier to swallow than "running costs" like putting petrol in cars, you dont get the same feeling of a constant drain on your wallet! :D

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I like to chain my bike to parking ticket machines ...

richatthecroft

Finding my (electric) wheels
New bike for commuting

Hi everyone. In 20 minutes time I'm going to commence an epic 2 hour bus journey from my home, 3 miles from Helmsley in the North York Moors to Fulford in York, where I shall pick up my first new bike in 30 years from Fulford Cycles who had a good deal on last years models. Its a Giant Freedom CS Lite which I'm paying a thousand pounds for (rrp £1500). I reckon the 20 mile journey back will only take about an hour! Beating the bus back easily!
I intend to commute 27 miles each way from my home to work in Scarborough as many times a week as possible! Everyone at work says I'm absolutely mad as a hatter, and my colleagues might well be right, as we are all mental health nurses!
My intention is to eventually get rid of my car and rely completely on a bike, the jury is out, but I do intend to make regular updates of how I'm getting on, costs, timings for the (very hilly) journey and talk about the practicalities here on the forum-does anyone think this might be of interest?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Riding 27miles in wet and cold conditions is no fun at all and even worse for a 54mile round trip....good luck!

bigjoe

Just Joined
Nov 14, 2010
We sold our second car at the turn of the year, and I bought an electric bike, I wanted to buy a top of range model with the cash we got for the car, but my missus would not let me as she said the bike would end up gathering dust in the shed, so we agreed I would get a cheap one for now and if I was still using it in a few months, I would upgrade it to a better model.

Six weeks on and I have used my electric bike every day getting to work and back and I have lost just over a stone in weight and feel better than I have in years. As it turned out I think that having a cheaper model may have helped me lose the weight as I have had to work a bit harder to get up hills etc.

As for storage I have a triple pannier which cost me £20 from Argos which can hold my full length overcoat, shoes and lunch box, so I can get everything I need for work on the bike with room to spare.

The main issue I’ve had is when my wife's at work and I need to take the kids somewhere, but I have found that the buses are usually on time and reliable although the fares are expensive. I have went for two days out with the kids on the train this month, something I would have never have done had a car been sat on the drive.

Having an electric bike instead of a second car has changed my life for the better anyway.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Rich, 27 miles on that terrain is asking a lot from your battery, i know the A170 pretty well, and its not exactly flat! I think perhaps your expectations are a little unrealistic. Or you're ungodly fit, in which case i'd love to be proven wrong! :)

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
We're both pensioners and replaced one car and a motor bike with two Juicy Bikes last year. We've kept the 15 years old Skoda Felicia estate for long trips, holidays in France, that sort of thing. We also have the use of an excellent (for the moment) bus service.
The sale of the motor bike & car (an even older Skoda) financed the purchase of the bikes and a bit left over for new batteries when needed. Our major monthly trips to the supermarket are now conducted on-line. The daily trips for fresh veg & fruit and the Guardian are undertaken by 'bus or bike according to weather.
I miss the motor bike but haven't missed the 'loss' of one car. Today the sun is shining and the gales have blown out - guess what we're doing next?
May the electric wind be ever at your back ....
Back home after a longer than expected ride - can't find the battery chargers - either of them! Somebody has been tidying up - tried riding mine without the battery - not too bad. Nobody eats until the battery is on charge...