trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Trigano is very big in France.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
My solution to bike transportation without taking the van route.
Renault Grand Espace, 4 full size bikes inside and 2 on the carrier.
View attachment 10923
John-

What sort of carrier is on the back? I'm going to get a tow-hitch fitted to my Peugeot 3008 this week and am looking for a good strong tow hitch carrier, what would you recommend? Thanks for the info on your bikes, I really want to go with Nexus type gears so have gone for Andy's SunBear for me and Kudos Safari for my wife. They will weigh in at about 60kg so I'll need a strong carrier.

Tony.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Hi Tony,

I have a Thule 916, mine is the older version of this one http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/bike-carriers/towbar-mounted-bike-carriers/thule-europower-916-_-916000
They are not exactly cheap but good quality.
The Summit carrier from Wilco seems to be excelent value for money at only £99
https://www.wilcodirect.co.uk/product/cycle-carriers/summit-2-cycle-carrier-black

As for your bike choice, i'm sorry that we couldn't help you, we don't sell generic Chinese brands.

Last edited by a moderator:

wightrider

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2015
You will only need about 6 gears on the rear for an E-bike, the motor takes up the hard work that a front derailleur would do on a regular bike. I still reckon a decent £1000 E-bike is out there (have you considered 2nd hand?) but a good dealer is pivotal which is why I didn't buy a private 2nd hand machine.

Oh yes and if you don't want any punctures fit the Schwalbe Marathon Plus, these bikes, being heavier than usual bikes, are a much higher risk of punctures along the rougher cycle paths.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
You will only need about 6 gears on the rear for an E-bike, the motor takes up the hard work that a front derailleur would do on a regular bike. I still reckon a decent £1000 E-bike is out there (have you considered 2nd hand?) but a good dealer is pivotal which is why I didn't buy a private 2nd hand machine.

Oh yes and if you don't want any punctures fit the Schwalbe Marathon Plus, these bikes, being heavier than usual bikes, are a much higher risk of punctures along the rougher cycle paths.
Wightrider-

The tyres fitted to my new bike are Kenda 700C by 38mm, and the wife's 26" x 2.125 'fat' section tyres will they be troublesome?

Tony

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Pending Wightrider answering, I ran the original 1.95" and 2.25" Kendas on two e-bikes for around a year before fitting my usual MPs. I didn't get a single puncture in either of them in that time, respectively one a 700c and the other a 20" wheel bike.

During that time I did get some punctures in my ersatz Chinese trailer tyres over considerably less miles of usage.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
During that time I did get some punctures in my ersatz Chinese trailer tyres over considerably less miles of usage.
I also have an ersatz Chinese trailor with the same ersatz tyres! And a bent steel wheel - my first contact with street furniture was not good fun for the trailor...

I will try running my 26x1.75 Michelin City tyres for as long as I can and will move to Marathons when they are all chewed to bits. They (Michelins) are fabulously better than the chinese cr@p that they replaced. And the trailor will get aluminium rims and marathons too. This ain't luxury, I don't have any other means of transport. When I did have a car it always had the best tyres money could buy.

(a) Tony

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I also have an ersatz Chinese trailor with the same ersatz tyres! And a bent steel wheel - my first contact with street furniture was not good fun for the trailor...
It may even be the same trailer Tony, since mine was brought in from France by a discounter. This link is to a post mentioning it.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The CT9708S I'll be damned, mine came from Germany via Amazon.

It gave me my first experience of rebuilding a wheel. I stripped the wheel down and bent the rim back as straight as I could (using the ramp of my stairs). Of course the memory effect of steel means it didn't stay straight for long but it is less pretzel shaped now.

I am going to build my own trailors from now in wood, I should gain at least 50% on the weight!

Tony

Reactions: flecc