Returning to cycling and new to this forum

nobby531

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 7, 2018
Western West Mids
Thanks for letting me on the forum. I found you from a reply to an electric motor question I posted on YACF.

Up until four months ago I hadn't cycled for 30 months. Various reasons including a touch of cancer, and a fall off a bike in my recovery period resulting in a slow loss of interest. Last year, I started thinking about it again and bought a Bafang motor from Woosh because I am at the end of my seventh decade and feeling weak.
Thoughts of falling off again made Herself buy me a 2009 Trice, but cold weather in the garage slowed my work down, and the difficulties off sorting cable runs for three wheels meant I nearly gave up.
Remotivated by being 'allowed' to bring my bike stand into the conservatory (Herself's sewing and quilting room) I removed the bits from the Trice and sorted an upright frame with stripped bb threads to fit to.

First ride, some 4 months ago, was a revelation even though it was only five miles. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Next day I went out again to try a couple of local hills that I had never much liked before. Took a shortcut through the park and found that Big Apple tyres are not good on mud; I fell off. Still, I completed the hills as if they had been flattened out. Two days later I discovered that I had aggravated a 40 year old back injury. A few weeks off the bike for physio and I restarted last week with the better weather. I am building my mileage, and thighs, and aiming to be doing overnights in a month, or so.
If all goes well I will be getting another motor for the Trice, or for a two wheeled 'bent.

Reactions: tommie and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Welcome to the forum Nobby, keep us informed on which way you go with ride choice.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Welcome.

The Big Ben is a better tyre for muddy conditions.

Another powered trike on the horizon! I am a very recent convert to bent and to trikes and loving every minute so far. Much more enjoyable to ride for longer distances. I will be mounting the GSM with external controller from Woosh on mine when finances allow...

nobby531

May 7, 2018
Western West Mids
Thanks. I've gone back to Marathon Plus Tours. I am really a road rider who likes a forestry road, bridlepath or tow path now and again. Mud in the park was an unwanted diversion!
I had a Trice before and it was a magnificent load carrier for camping trips.
If I decide to start camping again I'll motorise the Trice but otherwise it will be either my PDQ or Challenge Wizard.

Parky

Pedelecer
Apr 9, 2018
Kent
Welcome to the forums :cool:

I hope to still be ebiking when I’m your age as I’m loving it now 30ish years your junior :confused:

Glad to hear ‘she who must be obeyed’ has allowed you to share her ‘doing space’
Maybe you should consider getting an etandem so you can both share the experience!! :rolleyes:

Keep us posted on your exploits :)

Reactions: nobby531

nobby531

May 7, 2018
Western West Mids
Thanks Parky
Herself was subjected to a bicycle ride in 1970 and made a vow of "never again". She is very good at keeping vows.:) We have separate hobbies.
I see you are in Kent. I started cycling and walking there as a Boy Scout in the early '60's (we'd moved out of Hackney). Lovely county.

Reactions: Parky

Parky

Pedelecer
Apr 9, 2018
Kent
Thanks Parky
Herself was subjected to a bicycle ride in 1970 and made a vow of "never again". She is very good at keeping vows.:) We have separate hobbies.
I see you are in Kent. I started cycling and walking there as a Boy Scout in the early '60's (we'd moved out of Hackney). Lovely county.
You’re welcome :cool:

Where abouts did you cycle and walk in The Garden of England :D

nobby531

May 7, 2018
Western West Mids
I lived in Welling which was in Kent in those days and started cycling to Dartford Common with mates to blast over the heathland. Fixed wheel and cowhorn handle bars on a Triumph frame. Walking was with Boy Scout camping trips which were usually out around Meopham, Eynsford and Yalding, afair. In '62 three of us left Welling for a tour to E Sussex via Westerham. I remember we reached the Youth Hostel at Blackboys but couldn't get a bed because it was full of Dutch youths on mopeds. We did B&B that night and then couldn't afford anything excepting rearranging the A signs on garage forecourts to sleep under until we got back home.
I moved away in '64 but in the '70's I left my parents place in Beckenham for a cycle tour of the forts of the Saxon Shore. I went down to Portchester and followed the coast around to Reculver staying at Youth Hostels on the way.
Later on my parents were near Sandwich and I cycled around there and Dover and Deal.