Riese & Muller Tinker City

Matthew Taylor

Just Joined
Jun 9, 2018
Been looking at a few e-bikes over the last few months and am nearly sold on the R&M Tinker City.

I want to use it for a London commute to work about 8 flat miles lots of starting and stopping. I am 6'5" and 100kg. I also like the idea that the tinker is easier to get in a car and suitable for my 5'5" wife.

I think the Tinker might be a little over the top for my needs but with my weight, and wanting to make a lifestyle change, I think it is better to spend a bit more money and get something I love.

I am not against something with bigger wheels, but it just doesn't seem necessary for a London commute and the smaller wheels and frame seems to give me some benefits.

I am really looking for some reassurance that the R&M Tinker is a good option, but also open to other suggestions to consider before I bite the bullet.

Thanks,
Matthew

Ravener

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 7, 2018
Mitcheldean
Looks like a great option for a commute Matthew. In London, you should be able to get an easy 2 hour test ride for the money you are spending. Make sure the tyre pressure is right for your weight as this can affect comfort, ride and handling. You want a bit of give even if this hurts the range.

Check the total carry weight for the bike. I've got a 2017 Charger and it's built for most things!

Expect a long weight if not in stock! I was told 6 weeks - it took nearly twice that. Haggle!

Matthew Taylor

Just Joined
Jun 9, 2018
Thank you for the advice. The charger looks interesting, some good offers, but I think the compact tinker frame gives me other options.

Shame about the wait but better to get the right wheels.

Matthew Taylor

Just Joined
Jun 9, 2018
Interesting options and slightly cheaper. R&M seems to be a more established brand. Would you say there is a notable jump in quality?

spinellino

Pedelecer
May 11, 2017
Italy
Winora is probably the biggest ebike manufacturer in europe (same group as Haibike).
Orbea is a 150+ years old brand from Spain. It is a very well known brand in bicycle world.

The R&M does offer a bit more (front suspension, better front light, belt drive etc.) but overall they are all very similar. Only you can decide how much are you willing to pay for those upgrades, or if you need them at all.

Matthew Taylor

Just Joined
Jun 9, 2018
Seems that popularity varies considerably from country to country. The Winora is a very tempting alternative but is the Yamaha drive as good as the Bosch?

There is often a fine line between what I need and what I want!!

spinellino

Pedelecer
May 11, 2017
Italy
On flat terrain they are both overkill.

Once again the main differences are:
-the Winora has a bigger battery
-The R&M has a front suspension
-The R&M has a better light

everything else is identical or very similar.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I’d say the Yamaha motor has the edge but both are well regarded. R&M have an excellent reputation for quality.

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
I’d say the Yamaha motor has the edge but both are well regarded. R&M have an excellent reputation for quality.
I have a winora as second bike. Yes the yamaha is either the same or a bit better then the bosh.These are really powerful either way... and fast especially nippy and will kill hills. I would consider front suspension if the roads are bad though. Also your height maybe uncomfortable on a small bike like a winora. I tested rided the winora at Brighton marina shop..worth test riding bikes of that size

MRMAC9

Pedelecer
May 24, 2015
The Tern Vektron S10 is in a similar price range to the Tinker. Has anyone out there had any experience of using this bike? Some positive videos of it on You Tube of Canadian or US origin.

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
The Tern Vektron S10 is in a similar price range to the Tinker. Has anyone out there had any experience of using this bike? Some positive videos of it on You Tube of Canadian or US origin.
Looks neat but the 300 bat and only active line is a bit disappointing for the price
Tern-Vektron-Electric-Bike-Unfolding.gif

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
might be mis reading - but slightly surprised that OP seems to be looking for a single bike that will 6ft 5 male and 5ft 5 female. Are you planning one each or sharing thins one? In my experience (of fitting larger wheel bikes to a range of sizes and shapes) the difference in height / shape wouldnt work as there are too many changes needed for both riders to be comfortable - its not just seat height but reach, geometry, saddle etc. Be interested to hear how it works out

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I used to hire out Kalkhoff Sahels and found them quite adaptable. Seat height, handlebar height and reach adjustment meant they could be comfortable for many shapes and sizes.

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Hi Matthew, yes would be interesting to.know if you eventually chose the R and M Tinker, sounds perfect for your needs. We have a Tinker in the family, my wife's bike but I don't need much persuading to take it out when she is not using it. Both Haibike and R and M are good quality, but I was unable to source the Haibike Radius Tour when considering it. The forum is great for hearing others views and together with riding as many brandls as possible, it makes it easier to make a decision. But as the title goes, 'It's not just about the bike' , it's about the back up as well, and in my opinion, R and M go that extra mile to make sure you,re happy with your purchase. Like lots of well made and well designed products the quality is quite often realised after of period of time and when a few miles are on the clock. I have found the Tinker has proved itself well over both short and longer rides, both with light and heavier loads over varied terrain. As a commuting tool in the city the Tinker will be a delight to use and even though a possible overkill for the job, so what? It is a joy to own and you would probably want to take it much further as time goes on.