Right crunch time (offroad pedelec)

20ston

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2012
come to the time to order my offroad pedelec.
thanks for all the advice from everyone off here, it has all been taken in, mulled over, thought about again etc, etc......
this bike is solely for off road, so i have come down to either the top of the range Haibike or the KTM macina race 29r.
both have the same battery and motor system and i reckon the range will be similar on them both.
so in simple truthfull no favouritism which of these would YOU buy if you were buying a pure offroad pedelec?

pleas answer me this and i will both you no more.

thanks.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For me it would be the Haibike for offroad, simply because the motor unit is mounted in the upside down orientation so is best for ground clearance and protection from damage.

Bikes like the KTM having the Bosch unit underslung don't look as good in that area in my view, the unit shape reminiscent of a scrotum!

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
@20ston. Why would you bother us no more? I am sure we would all like to hear about your experiences wiyh your new bike.
@Flecc. I f your scrotum is filled with gears and wires, and hangs below your bottom bracket, might I suggest you seek medical help?

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
which of these would YOU buy if you were buying a pure offroad pedelec?
thanks.
Not having ridden either, I'm not sure that's easy to answer fairly. If pushed, I'd go with the Haibike for the same reason as Flecc. Off-road you want?...yes, Haibike for me!

Indalo

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi If you want off road you want the following bike with our 1,500 watt 48 volt motors with a 15 ah 48 volt battery in a backpack battery weight 4.5 kilos

Diamondback - Mission

total with our kit fitted Price £3995

Frank

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I like the Haibike for the upside down motor, but I don't like derailleur gears. If the Haibike was fitted with an Alfine hub gear, it would be perfect. I see that the KTM Macina 29 uses the 11 speed Alfine, so that would probably be my choice of KTM, not the 29r.

hoppy

May 25, 2010
No, no! Some cyclists seem to think that having any assistance is "cheating ", but having a throttle is so useful in many situations that I wouldn't be without one. It doesn't mean you don't pedal: just that maximum assistance is available on demand, and slow manoeuvres are easier and safer too!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree Hoppy, they are useful and my ones certainly help, both on difficult spots off-road or in some very confined traffic situations, especially at very low speeds. Pedals can be in the wrong positions at critical moments, and that's when a throttle tweak can save the day. It's not truly cycling though of course, more a hybrid of cycling and off-road motorcycling, which I also used to do.

Last edited:

20ston

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2012
just to clear things up, i dont want a throttle because my left wrist is fused solid and my right is not far from the same.

also a couple more questions if someone could be kind enough to answer.
the range on the haibike is advertised as 25 to 55 mile, the ktm advertises their range as 120km.
why the differant ranges when they both use the same kit?

just to add, my longest day on my kalkhoff was 66 miles, which is pretty good for a 20 stone bloke using assist all day. so kalkhoff are pretty much spot on with their 140km figure.

C

Cyclezee

Hi 20ston,

I can understand why you don't want a throttle.

You could have an eZee kit and use it purely in pedelec mode.

The throttle can be replaced with an EAF rotary dial mounted on the handlebars which would enable you adjust power to the level that you want it.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
also a couple more questions if someone could be kind enough to answer.
the range on the haibike is advertised as 25 to 55 mile, the ktm advertises their range as 120km.
why the differant ranges when they both use the same kit.
It is because KTM are more at ease deceiving their potential customers than Haibike. In fact, Haibike are probably near the truth with their figure, which is commendable and a definite positive point in the buying decision.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Looking at the small capacity of the Bosch battery (288 Wh) and assuming you have the 18 Ah battery on your Kalkhoff (468 Wh) for that 66 miles, since both are crank drives so somewhat similar, your pro-rata range on Haibike or KTM looks like being around 40 miles all things being equal. However, since the Bosch unit is more powerful than your Panasonic one, so greedier, probably best to assume more like 35 miles.

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
I run a tonaro bighit (hate the name) on 44volt lipos. It feels like a heavy bike at 36v but at 44v-50v it is as light as a feather and zips up and over anything. The throttle is great for hill starts and when nipping thro tight narrows where you cant use the peddles to clear rocks and stuff either side. It powers thro sand and seaweed in a way no haibike or ktm at 36v ever could. The downside is the range reduction and charging time but otherwise same 250watt motor and 16mph limiter(which could be removed offroad!)

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I'd almost build something myself.
Take a downhill bike and use a low wind direct drive rear hub thats 350w and whack the amps up.

Could get something built for about £1000 if you buy a used bike with new motor and lipo making the build quite light and central.

Although the weight being on the rear wheel would be a hindrance.

I personally think unless your doing quite long XC a motor would be quite a pain in the bum unless your extending range. But then again your gonig for fun so you could take your time and have a few rests.

This video has some of our last trip down to the south downs!

SAM'S STAG : MAY 2012 on Vimeo

I'll try get some more of the events and MTB.
Recorded on a Go Pro!

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
This video has some of our last trip down to the south downs!

SAM'S STAG : MAY 2012 on Vimeo

I'll try get some more of the events and MTB.
Recorded on a Go Pro!

Now THAT looked like a fun weekend LOL......hope you werent the one in leopardprint scotty.......:D

Just enough cycling to make you feel virtuous :)

Was that the Lanes, Brighton I spotted ?

Lynda :)

20ston

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2012
well i bit the bullit.......ordered a Haibike, the black version.
gonna see how i get on with one battery for starters and if i need another i will break into my piggybank to fund it.