Rixe Bourdeau

PedelecCommuter

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 22, 2007
I have just taken delivery of Rixe Bourdeau this morning (previous bike was Giant Lafree lite for four years) - from my local bike shop Vita Electric. Very similar to Agattu I think but with 8 gears not 7. I ordered a 57cm frame and I am 5ft 11inches which is a good choice but seat is at lowest setting.
I converted it this afternoon to 18t from 23t rear sprocket. I am pretty impressed so far with how quiet and smooth it is compared to the Lafree. I took it up Highgate West Hill as a bit of a test and still had one gear to spare on steepest part. Thanks to advice on the forum that helped with the choice of bike.

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
good to hear that vita electric are still open as i am sure i read here they had closed. i always found owner very helpfull did you part exchange your lafree by any chance

jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, it was 50cycles who'd said they had shut down, so either they'd just been absent at the time or have restarted the business.

PedelecCommuter

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 22, 2007
Vita electric is open for business. Alan there has always been very good at servicing my bikes - and i like dealing with a local shop with good afterservice. I would say running any e bike business has probably been pretty tricky given the supply problems recently - including probably for 50 cycles. On the other hand if the supply problems are due to high demand in Eurpope the medium term prospects are maybe good for these businesses.

JAC: No I sold Lafree privately to Peter Henshaw - so it found a good home

alex

Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2007
Edinburgh
Highgate West Hill!!

Pedelecs Commuter has mentioned Highgate West Hill, my body went into an involuntary shudder just reading that name. Over 30 years ago I had to rouse myself at the crack of dawn & cycle from Tufnell Park to Highgate Village every morning to start a newspaper delivery round. A good 2 miles of severe uphill riding to one of the highest points in London, it was a struggle & is certainly a challenging test for any electric bike. Maybe that difficult ride is the reason I now love the whole electric bike experience & appreciate that the motor assistance takes the pain & strain out of cycling.