Rixe

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Looks very similar - the front forks are another obvious difference - the Agattu's look the better. Difficult to tell with such limited specs. Still it is good to have lots of sources for this ebike (if they ever make it to the UK).

C

Cyclezee

Rixe is part of Derby Cycles of Cloppenburg as is Kalkhoff. The Bordeaux is an 8 gear deluxe spec version of the Agattu Wave frame model. Identical to the 8 gear Raleigh Leicester E De Luxe.

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Derby are a very large cycle manufacturing group of companies like Kalkhoff, and their products can appear under many names in divers variations.

A bit like Volkswagens appearing also as Audis, Seats and Skodas with anything from a radiator grill change to a bodyshell change, but all the same cars underneath with appropriate mechanical alterations to suit them to a role. The same for some other car makes too of course, PSA (Peugeot/Citroen) for example.

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
50 cycles just told me that they are not allowed to sell outside UK and pointed me toward Rixe.

For the same €1799 I would get a Rixe with 8 speeds instead of a Raleigh or Kalkhoff with 7, they cost €1999 with 8 speeds.

Did you know that a spare Agattu battery is £305 ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, that £305 is par for the course with quality Li-ion batteries.

The quality price point seems to be £150 for 12 volts @ 10 Ah, hence:

Agattu etc, 24 volts (2 x 12 volts) at about £300.

BionX, 36 volts (3 x 12 volts) at £450 currently.

Giant Twist I, 24 volts (2 x 12 volts) with two batteries at £600.

All at that £150 per 12 volts at 10 Ah rate, and all known to be the best quality lasting ones. Cheap Li-ions seem to be a false economy, especially on the more powerful bikes.

The bikes are always likely to be a bit cheaper where they are made.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Erik, I read your post the wrong way round from your intention.

50cycles did announce at the outset that their Kalkhoff prices were going to be the best in Europe, but as we had introductory special offers in force that wasn't easily checked anyway.

It's very rare for us in Britain to have a better price than elsewhere. Normally we just shrug in resignation at our prices and refer to "Rip off Britain". :)

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
the price of that particular battery 10ah 26volt in japan is £190 in the shop not £300 as it is here and in europe

jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the price of that particular battery 10ah 26volt in japan is £190 in the shop not £300 as it is here and in europe

jim
I'm not surprised. It could never be similar, packing, transport, insurance, import duties to the EU from Japan, Kalkhoff margin, importer margin, VAT.

It all adds up on a percentage basis, so the increases at each stage are exponential.

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
I'm not surprised. It could never be similar, packing, transport, insurance, import duties to the EU from Japan, Kalkhoff margin, importer margin, VAT.

It all adds up on a percentage basis, so the increases at each stage are exponential.
That could be grounds of a group buy some years down the road.

It's very rare for us in Britain to have a better price than elsewhere. Normally we just shrug in resignation at our prices and refer to "Rip off Britain".
Can't be worse than Denmark. The actual DKK/€ exchange rate is 7,5/1 but when I compare prices to Germany you should think it was 10/1.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Can't be worse than Denmark. The actual DKK/€ exchange rate is 7,5/1 but when I compare prices to Germany you should think it was 10/1.
Yes, we look at Danish prices to cheer ourselves up. :D

I'd just read of 86 krone for coffee and cake only yesterday.