Rocky Start in the world of ebikes

Christopher Broers

Just Joined
May 13, 2017
United Kingdom
Thanks to Pedelecs for providing such a good resource here, lots of good information on what's available, how it works and what to expect. For something fundamentally so simple, building a bespoke eBike in the UK is the closest to swimming with sharks with seemingly everybody willing to take your money and run.

I am converting a Hase Kettweisel trike for a partially paralysed person - it's amazing how difficult it is to get a well integrated 20in kit at the right price, reasonable delivery time, and pre sales after sales support. I am now wishing I'd stuck with my original plan of buying a foldable eBike from Halfords and retro-fitting it to the Hase. How come it's almost cheaper to buy a whole ebike than a kit.... Having now ordered a kit (on discount) from a UK supplier I'm now committed, but 2 weeks in and I still have nothing and am having to constantly pester them to get any progress. Fortunately I paid through PayPal, which gives you the email of the recipient so you can pester them, but sadly, the only reason I went with the company was because none of the other UK suppliers have an ordering system that work properly! With an electric version of a Hase Trike costing over £3500 there is no choice in what we are doing.

Perhaps there is too small a demand in the UK for the kits, leaving the UK re-sellers constantly battling with the Chinese supplier for working and reliable stock? As an Engineer I do find it upsetting that many of the UK re-sellers do not seem to have enough understanding of what they are re-selling and or the foresight to ensure they stock the right components to support after sales.

Anyway that's enough winging, I will post some photos of the conversion when I start.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Perhaps there is too small a demand in the UK for the kits,
that's my perception too.
We can technically build you a 20" motor wheel to your specs, but we normally don't do one offs.

Christopher Broers

Just Joined
May 13, 2017
United Kingdom
Thanks Woosh for the honest response - your site does have very good descriptions and technical details on your kits - I only didn't try to order from you as you don't specify any 20in kits (which I assume from what you're saying are just not profitable enough to resell) and I was war weary from the lack of pre-sales response from other resellers. Good luck with the business

Reactions: Woosh

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
PM me if you would like me to put you in touch with someone who has converted a similar trike to electric drive.