Salisbury LPX modes of operation

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
I recently purchased a Salisbury LPX. The manual supplied is quite basic and from what I can see does not explain the function for each position of the three mode rocker switch. The guy in the shop I bought the bike from said the bottom position labelled 'off' provides 50% pedelec power and the top position labelled 'on' enables throttle control. He isn't sure about the middle position.
From my experience, the bottom position is certainly pedelec only, not sure about the power delivery. The middle position is also pedelec, no noticeable difference to the bottom position. The top position enables throttle only or a mixture of pedelec and throttle.
I PM'd Alex728 about this knowing he owns the same bike, however on his bike he has a two position rocker switch labelled on and off.
Any information on this will be appreciated.

Thanks

kelly

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 22, 2008
Hi, I have just bought a Salisbury LPX, The lower position on the switch has power off. The middle position is assist, but you have to be peddling; stop peddling and the motor cuts out. The highest position is full throttle control (no peddling needed).

A couple of times I've had it on the highest position and accidentally turned the throttle before I've got on the bike, the result being the bike lurches forward and climbs the wall immediately in front of me! That wouldn't happen if the switch was in first or second position!

I keep forgetting to switch it off.

It's a lovely bike though. I'm very pleased with it.

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
Hi Kelly,
Thanks for the reply, however on my bike the off position definately provides power assist, its the setting I have used since purchase a few weeks ago, as recommended by the shop guy who sold it to me.
Must admit though, that your set up sounds more logical.
Anyone else with a Salisbury care to comment?

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
Hi IOM,

All the Salisbury LPX models have the same rocker-type control switch. Bottom position 'OFF' is as said above, pedelec only, with the 'off' referring to the throttle-assist being totally off - so powered by peddaling only.

The top position , 'ON' is for throttle assist AND pedelec combined. It'll do either or, depending on your requirement, and it's the only position in which you can access throttle control.

The middle position switch is virtually redundant being a duplicate of the pedelec-only mode. This position is the one that puzzles new owners.

Therefore in essence all the replies thus far show the switch operates identically on each owner's bike. It's the redundant middle position that starts the confusion off, followed by the the top throttle 'ON' position sharing a pedelec action too, that confirms the confusion. The top position switch does everything.

Once the key is inserted in the battery and switched on there is power available at all times, regardless of the position of the handlebar 3-position switch - there is no safety 'off' switch on the handlebar, that cuts out the motor.

P.S. Think that the bike shop owner in his effort to help and explain, chose an unfortunate phrase with, "50% pedelec power".

Last edited:

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
As I mentioned in a PM to IOM , the rocker switch on mine is only a two position one. OFF is pedelec only, ON is throttle + pedelec ; far more logical.

Not sure if mine is a older or newer model.

incidentally is it true that pedalling and using the throttle gives an extra power boost? I'm not sure if this is the case but I've seen it claimed on older reviews of this machine....

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
Hi Kelly,
Please try your bike with the rocker switch at off to see if you get pedelec as per my bike and Danny-K's.

Thanks

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
Hi Alex,
Re your question.
On very steep hills (we have a few on the Isle of Man) I have switched to the on position and pinned the throttle, it does not appear to give a boost, however, as I said in my PM, I have not yet resorted to the granny gear, so perhaps it does provide something.

Last edited:

kelly

Jun 22, 2008
Hi Kelly,
Please try your bike with the rocker switch at off to see if you get pedelec as per my bike and Danny-K's.

Thanks
Hi IOM

I'll try it tomorrow and let you know.

Being lazy I just always have it on the highest, top switch and let the bike do most of the work. I'll investigate further though!

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
Hi IOM

I'll try it tomorrow and let you know.

Being lazy I just always have it on the highest, top switch and let the bike do most of the work. I'll investigate further though!
Thanks, please do

kelly

Jun 22, 2008
Thanks, please do

Just been out this morning and found that in lowest and middle position there is power, but as soon as I stop peddling it cuts out (as it is supposed to do on these settings, I guess).

I'll just keep it in top, full throttle mode :D

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
Just been out this morning and found that in lowest and middle position there is power, but as soon as I stop peddling it cuts out (as it is supposed to do on these settings, I guess).

I'll just keep it in top, full throttle mode :D
Thanks Kelly,

Your bike operates in the same way as mine and Danny-k's.

Alex, you clearly have a different set up (red 2 position rocker), but as the middle position on our bikes is the same as the off position, I would say you have the better more logical set up.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
well the grips/switches come from here

ÎåÐdzµÒµ»¶Ó*Äú

(that is a link, just that it may display oddly as it should be in Chinese) - and there are loads of different kinds, so I can see how maybe some got delivered / assembled with 3 position switches due to confusion when ordering etc..

Good soundtrack for a Chinese bicycle components website though, I quite like the 80s retro design and the somewhat mangled English - gives it some character :D