salisbury refund-cyclamatic power plus-or start saving

lantus

Pedelecer
May 28, 2010
had a problem with the motor on my salisbury lpx, did'nt gey any reply's at all off here so much for helping the newbies:confused: anyhow been offer a refund by the shop,bike only cost £530 so should i get a replacement salibury or a cyclamaticpower plus or would it be better having had problems with a cheap bike to save up another £3oo or so to get somthing better.

10 mile round trip to work do find the salisbury a little under powerd going up hill and all so end up running out of gears on the flat.

any bikes around £800 be any better?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I would start saving:)

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
I don't know if the Salisbury worked OK when you first got it. If it did and you liked it then it might make sense to get another one. At least you know what it was like. I think that quite a lot of members of the forum have them and I haven't seen any major complaints. They are apparently a bit low powered compared to some other bikes but otherwise fine at the price as long as the size (one size fits all) suits you. You were probably unlucky to get a faulty one.

I have no experience of other current bikes (my £600 Giant Suede is still going strong after 5 years but they are no longer on sale) but a trawl through the owner reviews and the bike threads on the forum should help.

I wouldn't be put off by suggestions that you must spend a lot more money. Obviously if you can afford to pay more you can get a better bike, but I'm sure that there are lots of people (like me) getting excellent service from a less expensive bike. Do your research, and personally I'd go for an established company like Powercycle rather than some 'batch of bikes out of a container' merchant who may then disappear.

Last edited:

lantus

Pedelecer
May 28, 2010
thanks been a bit put off the salisbury again because of the after sale service, was told be them to go back to markro and get them to sort it out,which i thought was wrong of them as all i was asking for was advice not complaining

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Wisper Eco is available from E-bike Direct for £799. Wisper are very reliable. Mines close to 4,000 miles now with no problems, even in the pouring rain.

Best regards.

Vikki.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
My wife has a Cyclamatic power plus and she really likes it. It stays on my van for when we drive out a bit further from our village. It`s true that it is only 24V which is a slight disadvantage but she seems to be able to keep up with me on my 36V bikes. She also has a Synergie Breeze as her home and main bike and it`s a toss up on which bike she prefers(not sure if you are male or female by your name) if you are a female then the synergie Breeze is a cracking bike for the money for sure.

I don`t think you need to spend big money to get a decent bike( I have had good bikes for half the price of a Wisper) although I have no doubt that the Wispers have decent running gear etc and certainly good after sales although they also do have their problems..

I tested an Oxygen recently for a couple of weeks and found it to be a very competent bike, very light and a superb battery with good back up.

BTW the cyclamatic power plus is only a 17" frame! What size are you?

lantus

Pedelecer
May 28, 2010
5-8 and male 12stone not super fit but not ready for the knackers yard yet:

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hey

Consider the Urban Mover range, all with Panasonic batteries:

UM44L £699
UM33X £799
UM55 £799

All available through Halfords....!

Let me know if you have any questions

Thanks

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
The Cyclamatic Power Plus is actually a pretty good bike for the price (wait for a discount code though ;) )
For a 24v system it's fairly powerful and goes a fair distance on a full charge.
Looks good too and i've had a few people comment on its sporty looks.
Most of the cabling runs through the frame, which is good.
Only things i've changed are tyres to Marathon Plus and the front brakes to Shimanos. Now brakes stop without noise and really quickly at speed.
Bad point is the motor can get a bit noisy under full load.
Sports HQ are pretty good with their after sales service as they sorted a duff battery out for me fairly quickly.

Last edited:

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
thanks been a bit put off the salisbury again because of the after sale service, was told be them to go back to markro and get them to sort it out,which i thought was wrong of them as all i was asking for was advice not complaining
Hi;
I too support the idea that some of the 'cheaper' bikes are good value. I've banged on at some length in the past about the virtues os the old PowaBike SLA battery models - they weigh a ton (tonne?) but have excellent range and will climb hills effortlessly.
Happy hunting,
Tom

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
5-8 and male 12stone not super fit but not ready for the knackers yard yet:
Thanks

I think you would probably get on fine with a Cyclamatic power plus. As far as after sales go, one of our cyclamatic folders developed a fault and noisey motor, Sports HQ collected the bike and after a week they replaced it with a new one. Can`t ask for more than that really.

Dave

lantus

Pedelecer
May 28, 2010
Hey

Consider the Urban Mover range, all with Panasonic batteries:

UM44L £699
UM33X £799
UM55 £799

All available through Halfords....!

Let me know if you have any questions

Thanks
hi mark
been on the halfords web site but cant find the um33x or the um55, do they have another name or is it just the number.

also do they all have 200w motors or is there a 250w option

lantus

Pedelecer
May 28, 2010
Wisper Eco is available from E-bike Direct for £799. Wisper are very reliable. Mines close to 4,000 miles now with no problems, even in the pouring rain.

Best regards.

Vikki.
looked at eco its £899 if its part assembled or £999 for fully assembled,really like the thought of the 250w motor as i a have two biggish climbs.

0% intrest only available on the fully assembled price!

leathersley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 2, 2010
hi mark
been on the halfords web site but cant find the um33x or the um55, do they have another name or is it just the number.

also do they all have 200w motors or is there a 250w option
Go to Halfords site.

Click Bikes

Mens and Womens Bikes.

Electric Bikes.

O.K.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
looked at eco its £899 if its part assembled or £999 for fully assembled,really like the thought of the 250w motor as i a have two biggish climbs.

0% intrest only available on the fully assembled price!
Oops! I claim typo on my part, sorry :eek:

lantus

Pedelecer
May 28, 2010
quick update on my decision,my son has got his first job:D so is moving out down to dudley.And as on-bikes has a shop with demos close by im gonna try out a few especially the wisper.

many thanks for your comments i'll keep you informed.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
quick update on my decision,my son has got his first job:D so is moving out down to dudley.And as on-bikes has a shop with demos close by im gonna try out a few especially the wisper.

many thanks for your comments i'll keep you informed.
Wise man!:D

lantus

Pedelecer
May 28, 2010
hi
update on the promised update.

took a trip to harrogate to look at 3e electrics owned by frankie xu whos posted on here in the past,looking to get a cheap ebike for the wife to run around town on.got their e-trip bike for £500 36v 250w. had it for three days for the price its excelent so much so i went back and got the mens frame city bike for myself,paid an extra £25 to get a 42 tooth front chain ring on so total £525 so still a good price. come with full mudguards (steel not plastic :( ) rear rack and dynamo front light.chinese motor sounds like a milk float when you first start off but its fine when your up and running, big difference in power from the salisbury i had (but that was a bit slow) havent been out for a big run but battery should have an ok range ( my commutes only 5 mile each way)so will do that.

just thought id keep you all up to date.

allen p