Schwalbe Big Apple

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
Has anyone tried Schwalbe Big Apple tyres? If so what's your opinion.

I see they make a 50-622 tyre, my Agattu has 42-622 tyres, do you think Big Apple tyres would fit?

Reason to change? well with the roads in their present state and looking like they are going to remain that way in the distant future i just though anything to smooth them out a bit would help. They also have a Kevlar insert, which cant be bad. :)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I had them of the first electric bike kit I built.

It had no suspension and the 26" Big Apples I had certainly ironed out the bumps.

As you say the Kevlar belt helps and I found them very robust and puncture proof.

Regards

Jerry

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com
Big Apples are great and very comfy, there is a good reason why they called them Ballons. Kevlar also does the job however isn't as puncture resistant as Marathons Plus. On the hand Marathons are not as comfy so I think it's a good balance to choose.

all the best

Andrew
Oxygen Bicycles

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
My Schwalbe Big Apple tyres arrived today.
No one seemed to have tried these on an Agattu, so never one to duck a challenge i ordered a pair.
Fitting was dead easy, absolutely no problems at all.
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/images/pedelecs/attach/jpg.gif
Attached (i hope) is a picture with the tyres fitted (sorry about the sun getting in a bit) I think they make the bike look much better, more in proportion.

Took the bike out for a quick spin, a mile or so, and the difference is amazing, i only have to go round the corner for rough road surfaces so an instant a trial by fire but like i said amazing.
They ride smooth with next to no road noise, can't wait to try them on cycle/tow paths

Attachments

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As you say, they really do complement the Agattu, giving it a tough look that suits it's strength.

And of course the comfort with them is brilliant.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
My Schwalbe Big Apple tyres arrived today.
No one seemed to have tried these on an Agattu, so never one to duck a challenge i ordered a pair.
Fitting was dead easy, absolutely no problems at all.
Did you get the narrower 50s then? I just wanted to clarify this in case someone orders the 60s for their Agattu and finds they don't fit.
I had Big Apples last year and loved them, I'll go back to them once my current MPs have worn out.

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
Did you get the narrower 50s then? I just wanted to clarify this in case someone orders the 60s for their Agattu and finds they don't fit.
Yes i got the 50s, I'm pretty sure the 60s would not fit, well not with the mudguards anyway. Plus inner tubes could be a problem.
With the 50s i adjusted the mudguards out to their widest settings and they hug the tyres great without rubbing anywhere. I think it looks much better, with the bonus of Kevlar :D