Schwalbe Supremes - first impressions

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
I think a couple of people were interested in these tyres so I thought I'd pass on my first impressions.

Fitting
I fitted the 28 x 2.0 to my Trek hybrid (700C) easily enough, popping on by hand.

Clearance
This is what I was worried about but they do fit - with about 1 or 2 mm to spare on the back wheel.

To ride
First ride was at 45psi (recommended pressure is 30-70) and I confess they didn't make the massive difference I was expecting. They certainly are softer than my 700 x 37 Continental Sports Contacts at 60psi but I guess that rear motor really makes a difference over the bumps.

At 30 psi they didn't feel that much different.

They slow the steering feel of the bike which I guess is down to the increased circumference as they're not a heavy tyre.

Noticeable noise.

I hope to have more time tomorrow so I can try them on the bumpy path - the reason I got them.

So far though, despite mudguard problems, I think I'll stick with them.

Problem -Mudguards
No problems at the front but the SKS Beavertails don't fit on the rear due to the lack of clearance so I'm going to have to experiment. The problem is compounded by the bike rack that I will be fitting, which may prevent me from using the mudguards that clip onto the seatpost. If that's the case, I ay have to rig something up with cable ties to attach it to the rack, and I then need to rig something up to protect the frame/components.

Hmmm!

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Thanks Nick,

I doubt you'll find better cushioning and puncture protection for such a relatively low weight in 700C (690g), so I hope they pass the bumpy 'tree root path' test for you and you can find rear mudguard solution :).

Maybe you'll really notice the difference once you try them on the proper bumps.

The 'magic compound' is supposed to give very good on-road grip & low rolling resistance ought to minimise drag when you need to ride on road and the slower steering may be just due to the wider size & probably feels exaggerated/more prominent because of the low tyre weight for its size, hopefully you'll adjust & it'll pay off if better on the bumps. :)

Stuart.

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
I rode my proposed commute today, including the rooty path, and the Supremes are definitely much comfier than the Contacts. I guess my expectations were a unrealistically high yesterday as today I thought they were very good, and the rooty path will now be my route in to town. Although the ride was still bumpy, the jarring had gone, making for a much more relaxed and faster ride.

The tyres do give the impression of sapping energy - they roll well for what they are but not as fast as the Sports Contacts, either accelerating or for top speed. That said, I didn't notice a difference in the state of the battery charge, although the gearing has changed as the tyres are now so much bigger.

I have bought a rack and cable-tied a rear SKS Beavertail mudguard to it and it is nice and secure and looks OK.

Cable-ties and gaffa tape - what more does anyone need!

I've yet to try them in the rain but the Supremes are good on dry roads and the loose dirt used on some cycle paths. I've got the pressures at 45psi so we'll see how the punctures go - I did cycle through some broken glass today which I couldn't easily avoid and the tyres are still inflated, so here's hoping.

All in all, I'm pleased with them. I got them from Dot Bikes as a pair which saved a couple of pounds - not used Dot Bikes before and the bits and pieces were well packaged and arrived promptly.