Scooter V electric bike

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Today I was overtaken by a scooter near the beginning of my journey and stayed with it for six miles though town traffic. I have often made a note of a car or lorry whilst cycling and wondered if, 15 miles later, I would beat it into, or out of, London. Trouble is, I always get involved with the journey and forget to look out for familiar vehicles as I pass traffic queues.

Have any of you actually noticed that you can keep up with the traffic over distance, or even beat a car to your joint destination?

I wasn't racing by the way, just realised that I kept catching the scooter up.

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Conal,

I notice this all the time, both in London and my home town in Bristol. The car stays on the drive unless I am traveling out of town and can't use the train. It is by far the quickest and most convenient way

Thanks
Mark

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
A lot of filtering is about technique rather than speed and I've left motorbikes for dust on occasion but I need a bit of luck or a complete numpty on the motorbike to manage it. I've noticed a few times in really heavy London traffic that pushbikes have a huge advantage on PTWs.
A common 'win' for me is buses, the pedelec is easily faster even out in the suburbs.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I work in London and live in North London. I met a colleague on her scooter on the way to work at about 8 or 9 miles away. At the end of the journey she was coming into the front door just ahead of me - some of that time was her looking for parking space while I could park up right outside. Not bad going on an Ezee Torq.

Psycosis

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2009
Walton On Thames
I personally think the bike is a better win for city commuting.
As mentioned:

You can use cycle and bus lanes
You don't have to pay for tax, insurance etc..
You don't have to worry about finding a parking bay
The running costs are lower due to using elec, even though mopeds are quite econimical.
The gear for cycling is a bit cheaper (unless you go for expensive brands)

I looked at a moped, but decided the parking was the biggest issue, there is none free when i walk to work in the morning.

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Bus lanes are a winner

Psycosis

I agree that bus lanes are very helpful to cyclists. The scooter rider I kept pace with was alternately driving along the lane marking and on the (quieter) wrong side of the road.

I have heard somewhere that moterbike and scooters are going to be allowed the share some cycle lanes so I supposed that advantage will go. I don't like the idea of a motor bike shooting past me in the bus/cycle lane - a liitle close for comfort!

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I have heard somewhere that moterbike and scooters are going to be allowed the share some cycle lanes so I supposed that advantage will go. I don't like the idea of a motor bike shooting past me in the bus/cycle lane - a liitle close for comfort!
It happens in most bus lanes I use and doesn't cause any problem, most motorbike riders are more aware of what's around them than car drivers and tend to stay away from pushbikes.

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
I figure this perhaps really only works for bikes in congested cities.

I have good evidence as half the time I drive (roughly the same route of 6 miles across inner London) because of needing a suit for meetings, crap weather or indolence. Driving takes usually about 30-35 mins unless there's a big traffic jam. The other half of the time I cycle, which is always 30-35 mins there (downhill) and 30-40 back (uphill). So if I could race myself, I'd be catching and losing myself a lot.

Slight caveats- in the car, I can take calls, listen to music/radio but strictly observe traffic rules. On the bike, I won't use earphones as I feel too vulnerable to be distracted. Oh and on the bike, I'm less strict about red lights, etc.;)

But neither is anywhere near as quick as when I had a nice Ducati :(

dilus

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 28, 2010
I have just replaced my 50cc Yamaha scooter with a Powabyke Classic Euro 2006 model. I live in the sticks and commute to work 4 miles each way, it used to take me 7-8 minutes on the scooter and now takes me 15-17 minutes on the Powabyke but that includes 3 hills. It might be slower out in the sticks but when the weather is nice it is so much more enjoyable and you don't frighten off any wildlife along the way.
If I lived in a built up area with lots of traffic the electric bike would be my choice every time, I'm saving £100 on insurance, £35 on MOT, £15 on tax and a gallon of fuel every two weeks, why I never thought of it sooner god only knows! :)

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Epping Forest

Dilus

I agree re: the wildlife. Today I rode back from work at 8pm through Epping Forest and and baby rabbits (kits, kittens, kindles?) were everywhere. Eight miles through "town" and eight 1/2 miles through the forest. The last half of the journey is the best and the car drivers would not have seen any of them apart from the roadkill.

Conal