Scott or Haibike for commuting?

Ross83

Just Joined
Apr 22, 2023
Hello!

I'm just entering the world of ebikes.
I love Scott, i used to have one of their bikes until somebody stole it.
So now that I have to buy a new one, I thought I'd go for an ebike.
My shortlist is:
1)Haibike Trekking 6
https://www.haibike.com/gb/en/electric-bikes/electric-trekking-bikes

2) Scott Sub Cross Eride 20 Eq

3) Scott Axis Eride 20 Mix

The price is very similar so it is not a deal breaker.
I will mainly use the bike to go to work (quite flat) and some rides in the mountains (but not the main use).

Which one would you suggest considering I like the looks of all 3?

I should maybe add I'm quite a short girl (164cm) and my boyfriend has a very nice (and more technical) trek so he's pushing me to follow him for rides in the mountains.

Thank you for your help!

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I would go for the Scott - No 2.
Pros
More gears will give you a bigger lower gear.(handy for the trails)
More availability of 11 speed gear parts
Bigger battery - more range
Cons
Gear parts more expensive to replace than 9 speed
More expensive replacement battery
More charging time / cost in charging battery
My decision is based on your dual use needs

Reactions: Ross83

Ross83

Just Joined
Apr 22, 2023
My thoughts exactly. But the battery on Scott nr 2 is smaller than the Haibike. I still think it will be enough.
Or you're maybe talking about the Scott Axis? I had actually started to rule that out since the motor has the lowest power of all of them.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
My mistake, I was talking about axis but didn't look at the motor properly.
Do you think the 9 speed will be ok for joining your boyfriend, the extra power of the motor will help.
If you going to use it for communiting mostly then 9 speed is enough gears.
Can you try any of them, the fit is the most important thing. The motor is the main item so spending extra money on that makes sense, gears etc can be replaced as they wear out.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the Yamaha motor is the only one that parts and controllers can be bought for when warranty ends and id also avoid any bosch motor with the smart system esp if you want a dongle to remove the speed limit as have had a lot of problems even with no dongles.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Cons
Gear parts more expensive to replace than 9 speed
More expensive replacement battery
More charging time / cost in charging battery
My decision is based on your dual use needs
If I can address some of these cons without being critical o0f the poster.

9 speed. Yes absolutely 9 speed cassettes/chains will be seriously cheaper to replace, but it will also be stronger too, as with an 11 speed the chain needs to be narrow.
But its not something you will be replacing that often. If you change the chain(the cheapest and most disposable part) then the cassette is going to last a very long time, and by time were talking years.
I've been running 12 speed, but im not bothered about changing the chain that often, in fact I never have, because when that system runs itself into the ground, ive a new 10 speed to be fitted. I've been running the 12 speed for 20 months now and its not slipping or needing any replacement parts.

Battery replacement-
Again we are talking years and years. theres a supposed minimum of 500 FULL charges(as in 0% to max) but many people have been charging their batteries in the thousands of recharges, so again we are talking a very very long time.
But it is an expensive item, costing maybe £500(though these prices are gradually coming down) So say for example each time you recharge the battery, you put a £1 coin in a box. By the time that needs replaced, you've accumulated enough money to buy a brand new battery, with probably enough left over to fund a shopping trip and a slap up tea at Mrs Miggins.

Recharge costs are negligible. You arent even going to notice it on your leccy bill, and its one of those things that you'd do anyway, and far cheaper than say putting petrol in the car or such. Nothing really to worry about.

If you are looking at Scott, which is a good company, made in Switzerland and I own and daily ride a Scott myself(A heavily customized Genius 920 Eride) they do Women specific geometry under the 'Contessa' models. So maybe have a lok there as well.

One important point, that can and will make life easier, is to try to buy your bike from a bike shop local to you(or at least in your town or within driving distance) because if anything goes wrong, imagine trying to return a large and heavy bike via a courier to a different part of the country. Far easier to get the bike to the local place.

Ross83

Just Joined
Apr 22, 2023
Thanks! Both shops are nearby.
I can buy the haibike from a bike shop that also do repairs and the Scott at a sports shop in town.

Johnny 61

Just Joined
May 3, 2023
Recently bought a Haibike Trekking 6 2022 model XXL frame size, an electric assistance bike benefit of both a rear derailleur 10 speed 11-42 teeth and motor assistance with 630wh battery. Have found the bike very good, have three other bikes one being a Trubike 36er and filled the gap I had. Good on both the roads hard trails/gravel paths. Range of battery very good on the flat can use eco+ and only required on high setting for very steep hills, climbs easily the steepest of hills the tork very good and Yamaha PW-ST system 70Nm motor assistance cuts in immediately no delay in engagement very smooth motor minimal noise. Gives a very good range in excess of 100 miles using lowest power setting when possible for terrain. Once you hit 15 miles an hour (25kmh legal max in UK) then back to total pedal power if you go faster so still gives a good workout if you wish. Looked at total a e-bikes but decided the combination with rear gears suited my style of riding better. Would have no hesitation recommending this bike as covers a wide range of uses. Did swap out the seat post for a suspension post and with the front lock out suspension fork gives a very comfortable ride even over very bumpy ground. Did look at other bike brands/model options but after extensive research/independent reviews decided Haibike stood very high up on its own merits, consistently over the years having proven itself as a brand and quality of product build with yearly incremental improvements for a very keen price for what you get for your money, mudguards, rear rack, lights included and hydraulic disc brakes, could not have bought better for what I required.

Johnny 61

Just Joined
May 3, 2023
Looks a good bike/specs hope she enjoys many hours riding it. Similar specs to my Haibike, Bosch motor instead of Panosonic.
Price around £3,600?