Scott Sub Sport eRIDE vs Cube Kathmandu Hybrid vs Bergamont E-Horizon Sport vs Focus Aventura 2 6.6 vs Haibike Trekking 9

drandyhills

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 3, 2019
All hybrid bikes with Bosch Performance CX motors, with similar displays and batteries, at similar prices.

Given that, are they all much of a muchness or are there some I would definitely avoid/go for?

Thanks

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
All hybrid bikes with Bosch Performance CX motors, with similar displays and batteries, at similar prices.

Given that, are they all much of a muchness or are there some I would definitely avoid/go for?

Thanks
Look at components: forks especially, then drivetrain and brakes. Are they all at the same level? You want maximum money value in the hardware, not in the marketing budget.

Then look at dealerships locally. Are they local? Are they small local shop with good reputation, or branch of big company?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Thanks for this . Is there a way of comparing forks/drive trains/brakes? I'm no expert. Thanks
Online reviews would be a start. If you want to know you got the best deal, you need to become sufficiently expert!

Otherwise assume they are all the same because it is a competitive market and the prices are the same, and pick based on dealership criteria, and if still equal, favourite colour.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Things like forks in the main are basic once upon a time Rockshocks were the in vogue spec'd fork to fit but today most tend to use a Suntour 63mm travel fork and all the Suntours are much the same. If one really needs a bouncy fork then air shocks are what are needed.

Brake wise hydraulic is a std now rather then any cable type.
Zoom or clarkes are at the lower end, then the next level up are shimano acera or even tektro now are producing good entry level brakes easily on a par with Acera.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Haibike treking 9 - £3550
Basic fork but at least it is air not coil. Basic brakes, but for general use basic shimano disc should be fine- just watch out for micro leaks and replace any that start squealing soon after purchase.- That would be under warranty, take no nonsense off the shop, if theres any sort of a leak it will dramatically reduce breaking to pretty much zero and wont 'fix itself'
Other that that its pretty standardized, and unfortunately the level of kit you would find on a £750 non Ebike
Pluses - 625wh battery, so plenty of range - likely about 70 on eco, 38 on turbo.
Decent mid range spec gearing, that will last without any problems. Wheels while not great are adequate. 30mm rims, so you can fit wide tyres.
Built in lighting, mudguards and carrier, so pretty much ready to go and the only real downside i see is the sunpoor fork(but then im a confirmed suntour hater)

Focus Adventura 6.6- £3099
Very basic overall. Less specced brakes, smaller battery, average suntour fork, but again its air, which is lighter than coil, there its usually a case of 4 1/2lb Air - 6+lb Coil.Narrowish bars.
Not as good as the Haibike spec wise. I think things will need replacing sooner. Cheaper at 3100, and it shows in the build choice. Personally I'd exclude this one from your list.
Again built in lights, mudguards and rack

Bergamont E-Horizon sport - £2999
Heavier than the others, to much emphasis placed on 'E-bike component labeling' - this to me is a sign of its tat, they're hiding poor spec behind an 'E' label
Slightly better mid range gearing, better than on the focus but not the Haibike.
Larger 625wh battery which is always good.
Standard brakes and wheels, but a good quality rack and mudguards, i expect those will take the abuse of shopping. Again quite heavy for what it is. My full sus Scott is 23.3kg, this is 25.8kg

Scott SubSport E-ride-£3250
Heaviest bike in your range - 28kg - The coil fork is pushing that up, but still thats too heavy for what it is.
Remarkably you get a 4A charger, so full recharge should only take 4h. Better lighting system than any of the others,
Good level of Syncros kit(bars/stem/saddle etc) Wheels and brakes are on par with the others, low end but adequate for city riding.

Cube Kathmandu- £3200
X-fusion mig 32 fork - Aahhhggg avoid avoid - this is a poor fork, i've read too many reports of it being very problematic. Other than that its the same low end kit as found on the other bike, though the better mid range gearing, which is something that will take repeated use so its a plus point there at least.
Only a 2A charger which is a poor choice in my opinion, it makes for longer charge times. The others havent stated what their chargers are, i suspect they will also be 2A .Fairly ok with the mid range drive train, no probs there Weight 26.4kg - OUCH, thats pretty heavy.
Plus point for the suspension seatpost - comfy bum, always a plus point for a hardtail.
Nice colour of blue.

Personally I think its a bit of a flip up between the Haibike and the Scott. Maybe if the Scott had a better fork it would win overall.