Second Hand Electric Bikes

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I managed to get half of what I paid for my Haibike back after having it for 5 years and many thousands of kilometers. The second hand (and ex hire) ebike market in Austria is very buoyant, most bikes here are crank drive.
When did you sell it? The used bike market was very buoyant since the beginning of covid, but it has dropped down a lot recently.

ArthurG

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 20, 2021
I don't think the eBay model works for relatively expensive and fairly complex items. You can't see before you buy because eBay don't want people to view and buy direct. I gave up and killed a listing after trying to sell a Carrera Crossfuse with no joy on eBay. eBay blocks attempts to send email or phone details. I wouldn't buy a secondhand eBike without trying it for size and getting an impression of the seller first. Similarly, I wouldn't expect someone not to try out something I was selling. In the end it sold for what I wanted from Facebook Marketplace with no fees, unlike eBay.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
There are a lot of Newgen 345 complete bikes, frames, and assorted bits and pieces currently for sale on eBay. All bought from John Pye auctions last month with a healthy mark up.

• Informative
Reactions: Az.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
There are a lot of Newgen 345 complete bikes, frames, and assorted bits and pieces currently for sale on eBay. All bought from John Pye auctions last month with a healthy mark up.

Strange auctioning site. I registered and made an offer on one item, but price you are expected to pay is not the price you see (expect to pay around 50% more). Also description is almost non existent on most of auctions. Feels like a lucky dip.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
I registered and made an offer on one item, but price you are expected to pay is not the price you see (expect to pay around 50% more). Also description is almost non existent on most of auctions.
That was most auction houses before eBay, to be fair.

I think it's absolutely reasonable for someone to try and make a profit reselling on eBay. There's a lot of risk buying stuff at auction.