Secondary use for old battery packs

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Probably the last 25 charges of my 2003 battery pack are just barely adequate for e-bike riding. In a more hilly area, it would probably be useless.

But I was wondering, it seems a waste to toss a pack that still might be useful for some other use as long as it keeps holding a significant charge.

So, I thought I'd throw the idea out there, and wonder if anyone has come up with a good use for a old pack?

Plus, you know, feels like you really get your money's worth if you can use the pack for something else for awhile.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My area suffers occasional power failures so I have some emergency low voltage lighting. The power source has been each spent car battery over the years, still good for years of lighting duty with occasional recharges.

The same could apply for any bike battery type and perhaps provide lighting in a shed or garage, or even for illuminating a drive or porchway at night.

Last edited:

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Disposal of old battery packs

I attended Jack's meeting on Wednesday evening and was pleased to meet a number of non-electric bike users. They spent the evening grilling me on the advantages and dis-advantages of power assist.
I was able to answer most of their questions although I probably muddled up all the facts.
The one question that stumped me was what do we do with old battery packs (hence this post on this thread, in cae you were wondering). I explained that Powabyke have a subsidised exchange deal (or did) but that I did not know what all the non-powabyke owning cyclists did. I assume that we can dump them at the local tip, mine has a smallish bin for household batteries, but I do not know if we are supposed to take the power cells out of the casing first.
If anyone can tell me I can then email Jack and he can add this to his "sustainability" work.
Conal

Last edited:

JohnofCambridge

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2007
Stapleford, Cambridge
WEEE Regs

I believe Wisper take the old ones back, although no doubt David will confirm.

There are some regulations called the WEEE ( Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) which I believe requires retailers to take equipment back and dispose of it safely. I don't think batteries are exempt. Jack could probably check that out as part of his research.

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't think batteries are exempt.

John
I doubt they are included, since they are consumables and not equipment. It would be impossible to say if consumer batteries are the originals fitted or not, and there's further implications for consumer disposable batteries bought from numerous outlets like supermarkets.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Disposal

John
Hi John

Confirmed!

We will give a £50.00 discount on a new battery when replacing with a new one and bought directly from Wisper. This way we can ensure that the battery is properly disposed of.

Best regards David

Trumpet

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 29, 2008
If you can split the pack a big 12v battery in a box with a mini compressor and jump leads and a low power 240V inverter comes in quite handy. :)

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Finally found a use for my old SLA batteries as I'm getting feed up with them lying around doing nothing.
Wired them up to a female cigarette connector and can now use them in the Campervan for 12 volt power :)

SLA Batteries on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Should be able to charge them up with my solar charger - uses male cigarette connector - (can charge them individually if needed - just disconnect a few wires).

Last edited:

RedSkywalker

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2008

There are some regulations called the WEEE ( Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) which I believe requires retailers to take equipment back and dispose of it safely. I don't think batteries are exempt. Jack could probably check that out as part of his research.

John
The test for WEE is whether the item could perform its primary purpose without the aid of electricity e.g. a transistor radio could not, therefore the batteries in this case would be covered by the WEE regs. An electric powered/assisted bike could still be used for its primary purpose [cycling] without electricity therefore the battery in this case would not be covered by WEE.

The other piece of legislation covering this is the Batteries and Accumulators Regs which every council should already be aware of [and hopefully offer safe places to dispose of batteries].

The regs make quite good reading because the examples used are: powered xmas cards and vibrators! [the latter being exempted from the regs because they reckon the vibrator could still perform its primary function without electric power!]:)

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
The regs make quite good reading because the examples used are: powered xmas cards and vibrators! [the latter being exempted from the regs because they reckon the vibrator could still perform its primary function without electric power!]:)
As with electric bikes, you may still be able to perform the primary function without power, but it will almost certainly take longer and, depending upon fitness level, involve a lot more sweat. :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The e-bike interpretation could be variable, I'm thinking of bikes which run their lights from the main battery. Those couldn't perform their prime function after dark.

As with most modern legislation, it could all get dreadfully tangled.

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
The test for WEE is whether the item could perform its primary purpose without the aid of electricity e.g. a transistor radio could not, therefore the batteries in this case would be covered by the WEE regs. An electric powered/assisted bike could still be used for its primary purpose [cycling] without electricity therefore the battery in this case would not be covered by WEE.

The other piece of legislation covering this is the Batteries and Accumulators Regs which every council should already be aware of [and hopefully offer safe places to dispose of batteries].

Well, clearly not everybody takes the same interpretation of the law:

How Sex Toys Are Recycled by Rabbit Amnesty - LoveHoney

Not sure I am ready to slap the old Rabbit on the counter at Curry's just yet and ask them to recycle it....

I think companies wiggle out of the law if they can unless as in this case it is a good marketing tool. In theory I think the bike batteries should really be covered.

Last edited:

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Probably the last 25 charges of my 2003 battery pack are just barely adequate for e-bike riding. In a more hilly area, it would probably be useless.

But I was wondering, it seems a waste to toss a pack that still might be useful for some other use as long as it keeps holding a significant charge.

So, I thought I'd throw the idea out there, and wonder if anyone has come up with a good use for a old pack?

Plus, you know, feels like you really get your money's worth if you can use the pack for something else for awhile.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
they could make a very good doorstop, if useing a battery from a powerbyke at 14kg a good barndoor stop